Monday, September 2, 2024

Sept. 2nd updates

 



Sept. 2nd, a new month has begun. It's been a busy and productive weekend around here, but also included a few hours meant to relax. We are in full winterizing mode and preparation. It's hard to believe we have about 2 months to be fully ready for Winter. For the most part, this is now innately done, since we have done this for so many years. It doesn't make it any less crazy, when so much is based on the whim of Mother Nature, and her bipolar behaviors. So, Labor Day Weekend, has been spent laboring. 


After 2 years with a leaky hydrant, it has finally been replaced! No more handle freezing because it was leaking out the handle. So, that included borrowing a mini ho, digging up the old hydrant, setting new the new one, adding new rock around the drain hole at the bottom, resetting and back filling. My husband and son made quick work of getting that project knocked out. The new one works, as it should!  They also fixed the main water shut off under the house that was ready to blow out. The location of that shut off, is directly under my daughters bedroom, so if that had failed...it would have been a complete disaster! Now, there's a new shut off, hopefully this one will last another 13 years! 


While the guys were working on that stuff, I started trimming trees, cleaning up a few areas of landscape, and did some mowing. I worked on more tree trimming and gardening yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to find some tomatoes and green beans that were ready. There really hasn't been much to harvest before now. I made the decision that our main garden is being reseeded and will be resting for a year or two. The harvests the last couple of years have been pretty weak, and I just don't need as much as I once did. I will always garden in one form or fashion, since I truly love it, but I no longer need to feed large amounts of people, and really...I just want to have enough for my family, and actually enjoy it again. I put so many expectations on myself, that I end up overwhelmed, and I am a horrible critic of myself! 


Last night, I decided we were all going to slow down and relax. I decided I wanted a bonfire. No hoopla, no big gathering...just us and the kids. While I was disappointed that all but me, spent most of the time on their phones...it was still relaxing. Looking up at the stars, cooking nasty hot dogs on the fire, seeing the milky way, shooting stars, watching the bats, just relaxation. I haven't dealt with my phone much the entire weekend. Didn't take many pictures, and didn't even have it close most of the time. It's so easy to get tethered to electronics. It has been a hugely beneficial break. 


I have taken this morning to relax a little more. It's almost time to start getting more done, but you know - everything is still going to be there, when I get to it! Except maybe the garden produce. It's a little more time sensitive. Anyway, I have a few things in the back garden, and once it's empty, it will be turned back over to the chickens and ducks. There's cabbage back there that needs cut, sweet onions, and potatoes to dig, and hopefully some peppers. I've decided to try a new sauerkraut recipe, and keep some leaves for cabbage rolls. This week has a lot of must do things, and I'm going to work at it until it's all done. Canning pasta sauce, making kraut, freezing beans, fundraising for the veteran hunt, and the regular stuff - laundry, cleaning, and school. 


As of today, we have 24 days until the 2024 Veteran Hunt begins. I'm really excited, as I am every year. It's one of events I look forward to each year. It's a lot of work!! However, when you watch it all come together, it's beyond worth it! I have been honored to meet so many incredible people. The veterans this year, are coming from Illinois, Iowa, Tennessee and Louisiana. We still have some raffle tickets available, and are needing about 3 volunteers to help in the field. I believe I have plenty of help at the farm this year. We are still wanting to fill a few sponsorships for this year, since many of the prices have gone up, and we've had a few more unexpected expenses. 


As I head out for today, I hope you have all had a safe and enjoyable weekend. I hope September brings each of you the rest, and peace, that I believe we all need. God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment