Monday, February 11, 2013

Spring/Cabin Fever, yeah, I got that!


"Gardening, because it's cheaper than therapy and you get tomatoes!"



Yes! Not to mention green beans, corn, radishes, peas, potatoes, cabbage, and so much more! Although Winter is my favorite season, I really love each season for a specific reason. Winter is snow, holidays, my birthday, and lots of family time. Spring is the rejuvination season. Planning and planting my gardens, the growth of new grass, warmer days, more sunshine, airing out the house after the Winter months of being closed up. Summer is my least favorite as I don't like to be hot and I hate air conditioning. However, the end of Summer brings the harvests from the garden, canning, eating all those wonderful fresh foods. Then there is Fall. The most color splendid season. I love the leaves changing, the cool nights, bonfires, and winding down from busy prior seasons, and gearing up for Winter to begin again.

While this November will be our 2 year anniversary at our farm, there has been so much done yet still so much to do. We have spent 2 Winters in our home and have found plenty of areas that need updating, and I'm sure some of those projects will begin this year. One project that should have been done over a year ago, will be done shortly. We will finally have gravel for a driveway instead of dirt. We will be finishing our fences up this year once the surveying has been completed. We have plans to get the orchard in, replant all the trees(and then some) that we lost last year, put up the front deck, and I plan to get my flower beds in this year. Not to mention keeping up with the animals. We have the horses who need to be worked with after a long Winter. Looking forward to spending some time on horseback this year! We are going to be cleaning up our timber line, and I really look forward to enjoying that area!

January was a rough month for me, usually is. It's a month with very little in it. No holidays, not a lot of time with extended family, and short paychecks make for a long month. February has brought a lot of changes, and disagreements. While we have family goals, and individual goals; occasionally the goals become muttled when we vear off course or when we discuss goals and our communication styles are different enough that even when we talk about the same goal - sometimes it sounds like we are at different ends of the spectrum. Many of our disagreements stem from our communication differences. We have had our share of "farm experiences," that we didn't count on and really didn't want! We have had enough preditors that we've lost a ton of chickens, and a calf. We have had our fair share of animal losses. As a family striving to be self-sufficient, we do not have the large herds that a few losses wouldn't hurt. When we have an animal loss, it gauges into our budget, and into my self-esteem.

As I am continually growing and learning, I am finding that there are plenty of people who will do everything in their power to belittle you. While some go out of their way to outdo others, "keeping up with the Jones'," we do not. We have kept our entire debt less than most have for just their homes. We don't have the best of everything, nor do we want that. While some buy/build huge houses, just a little better than their neighbors or friends, we strive for small/functional/easy-to-maintain. I am doing everything in my power to return to my roots, so to speak. I would love a true earth home, with living roof, and a minimal foot print on the eco-system. Living off the land, and being 100% self-sustaining is the ultimate goal. We do not depend on hand-outs from anyone, and it will be a cold day in hell before we do. What we have, is a total debt with less than 10 years to repay, 90% of our food consumption is grown/raised on our farm, educating our children to a life style that is self-sufficient for future generations(not to mention minimalistic), and doing so on one income. Yes, money gets tight and there are months of juggling finances to get done what needs done, but the needed things always get done. We don't drive new vehicles, we don't have the latest and greatest tech equipment, and yes, there are a few wants but they are just that. We have what we need, anything beyond that is worked toward. By some peoples standards, I may not be a farm girl, but by my own, I have become just that. I am out working with the cows, pigs, chickens and horses. I work my gardens, and am involved in everything that goes on at our farm. If that doesn't fit in with others opinion of being a farm girl, that's their problem not mine. Some that are supposedly farm people, are nothing more than glorified educated idiots. I am not impressed by those who think they know everything and are more than happy to tell you so. You have some that will tell you things, and you respect them because they are sharing their experience. While the ones that irritate me are the ones who think they know everything, and are real idiots. We have the privledge of a very intelligent man, with plenty of life experience that has guided and helped us. He has taught us, shared opinions with us, and shared many life lessons too. I truly admire this man, and value him as part of our lives.

As I continue to grow and learn, I am finding that true friends are rare. You have plenty that will be there when the time is right for them, some will be there when life gets a little rough, and some that are there through think and thin. I am a very difficult person, I am aware of that. I expect to be respected even if others don't agree with me. I will be a very loyal friend to those who are loyal to me. It amazes me how many fair weather people there are. I am told that people come into our lives for a season or for a lifetime. I guess that will have to be seen.

As I run through my days with kids, housework, laundry, meals, animals, and whatever else is thrown in, I just keep reminding myself that everything happens for a reason. I am happy with the person I am becoming, and although I am not quite where I want to be just yet, I am getting closer everyday. I am tracking down my native heritage, and anxious to learn everything I can from the families that remain within the tribes. I am proud to have native heritage and the more I learn, the more I am finding that the person I am, has roots in my family past.

Wishing you all a great day!
~Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment