Tuesday, April 22, 2014

When do you have time?


A person so dear to me asked me the other day, how I can find time to write in my blog as much as I do. Well, let me tell you. When I first started writing in a blog it was 2008. I originally started writing as a way for my family to keep up with what I was doing from a distance, it gave me an outlet when my life was too overwhelming, and I had kept a journal for years. Obviously, my most private and personal feelings will not go online, but many times writing has helped me to keep my own temper under control. Since 2008, my blog has gone from just known to my family, to a few of my blogs have been seen by the right people, and have been recognized in other blogs and a blog of mine was actually published (in part) in a magazine. While I refuse to live my life as most do, my unconventional ways have proven to me to be the right choice for me. So, I write about areas that I know or I do a lot of research to write about something completely foreign to me. I love to read, and can do so very fast, so I am able to almost 400 pages in a days time. I love to learn, and I have been able to instill that love into my children. By home educating them, we learn together. As I read, research or go off on a mission to learn something new...so do my children. So, the love of learning has continued to grow.

I try to make time, as often as possible, to write. Writing has been my outlet for several years now. It allows me to write about frustrations, my achievements, my failures, a current event or even the chaos that tends to consume my life from time to time. My blog has allowed me a place to put words to my thoughts. As I said before, my way of thinking is pretty unconventional but I will never disrespect someone with different views. Many times, I write what I think, and then I'm done. I dislike agruements, and a battle of words. It seems pointless to me to argue over opinions, unless it is truly a life or death situation. So far, our country is still allowed freedom of speech.

Since we are down to just over a week left in April, we are finally seeing Spring weather, and my own spirit is finally returning; I decided it was time to make some changes in our home. As many of you who read this regularly are aware, we began a massive remodeling project in February. The first project was the master bathroom. It did not go anywhere close to smooth, and honestly took a lot of patience as it took 2 months to finish. The project we have moved on to is the master bedroom. While it emptied fairly quickly, and the new insulation/drywall/windows went in without much issue...it has come to a stand still as I am the only working on it at the moment. The inside projects will come to a halt with the completion of the master bedroom. The new furnace is ready to be delivered, and the new addition has to go up before anything more can be done. Unfortunately, our home is fairly small and there is only so much that can fit into a room and still allow a functioning household. In the midst of all the chaos of living in a home while you remodel, is the gardens. I have 4 gardens that total about 2-3 acres that need to be planted. There are new projects in them as well. I decided to try some straw bale gardening this year, and added a 4th garden to the mix. The 4th garden is an old hog log, and will be my pumpkin patch. I have always wanted a big pumpkin patch that my kids, and other kids too, could have with. Pumpkin patches have always brought out the kid in me. I can't wait to see a half acre of orange come Fall!!! Both my kids will have their own gardens this year. They each have a portion of the other gardens that they get to plant whatever they want...that will fit. It is their responsibility to keep it weeded, watered, and tended to. They love it and so do I!

Since my oldest and my husband enjoy hunting, they have gotten back into coyote hunting. While I enjoy shooting the guns and bows...I am not a hunter. I would rather take a camera into the woods than a weapon. I am not against hunting, as some of our meat does come from their hunting, I have gone and have shot. I just don't have the patience to do it, let alone do it as often as they do. I have a rule about shooting only what will be eaten...but with the coyotes, I don't hold that rule. Especially since the crazy things come into our yard and kill chickens about daily.

Anyone that knows me, understands that my kids are my world. They come first, over and above everything else! There isn't much I wouldn't do for my kids. I know there are people that get frustrated with me when I can't go do things with them and I understand that. I have some things I would like to do but dragging 2 kids with me everywhere makes it more difficult. Especially when it comes to making any sort of trip...even just an hour away takes an act of congress to get accomplished! We make the 15 minute trip to our local grocery store and it takes an hour of prep time just to do that. Taking off for a few days, sounds wonderful, but to plan and prepare for that is a feat within itself. There's getting the clothes/luggage ready, getting busy work for the kids to have in the truck, there's finding someone to tend to the animals(if hubby doesn't go), and making sure there will be a hotel to go to(since my kids will not be calm for the first 12 hours we are anywhere!) and then it's finally on the road and go time. Then you have the constant questions, "are we there yet," how much longer, where are we, and when will be back homes. A 2-3 day trip wears me clear out! I know we have a weekend trip to my hometown coming up as my niece graduates from 8th grade, and I am already planning for the June trip. Even though I know there will be a lot involved in the planning, driving, and then driving back home...I am looking forward to a little get away and seeing my family. Hopefully, there will be time to see a few friends also!

Since I am back in school myself, I am finding it difficult to keep up with everything and still maintain my "A" average. I have a very determined attitude though, so I know I will do it. It just proves more difficult with the constant demands of my family. I spent 9 hours yesterday doing schoolwork, and during that time....I was getting meals for the kids, answering phones, juggling one argument after another and still managed to squeak through with 96%. I am very proud of my "A" average because I know the chaotic state of my home and the other issues we deal with on a daily basis. I plan to graduate in July with an "A" average. Stay tuned.

So, as I venture into another day, that began with chaos...I just keep reminding myself that things will get better and calm down at some point. To my dearest friend, mentor and soul mate...ILY! Thank you for always being there when I seem to lose sight of myself. You are always on my mind, in my heart and in my thoughts! I can only hope that everyone reading this has someone they can depend on, talk to and be real with!

~Sal~

No comments:

Post a Comment