Tuesday, November 10, 2015

What dreams are lurking in your shadows?








"What dreams are you pursuing? What dreams would become a reality if you didn't hold yourself back?"



Just as the phrase, "who would you be if you quit being who the world told you to be," represents; what dreams are lurking in your shadows? Dreams have kind of a funny way of hiding or simmering until one day, a spark catches a breeze, and all of a sudden, the dream is burning uncontrollably.

When you have a dream that lingers in your gut, it begins to simmer and eventually, will catch a fire that burns too brightly to extinguish. What would you do, where would you go, or what career would you choose if there were no obstacles in your way? Dreaming of a perfect job, a career that fulfills you, a travel destination that you've envisioned for years, a business venture that interests you; What would this be for you?

For me, this has become a daily thought. What could I accomplish if I had stayed on a career path instead of being a stay-at-home Mom? What passions could become a career if I put a little extra effort into them? Where would I go and/or do if there were no obstacles in my way? Would I actually open and enjoy a little roadside business with coffee, homemade treats, and seasonal vegetables? Would I be able to display some of my favorite photos, in some fashion, and continue to take more?

For my own dreams, there are so many! I have never dreamed of working for someone else. I have always leaned more toward working for myself, doing things my way, and not letting anyone tell me what my time is worth. I have so many passions, that to some degree, all focus on creating something. I love to get creative with baking and cooking, I love to garden, I love to do photography, I love to build furniture and wooden crafts, I love to read, I love to write/blog, I love the D-I-Y of everything. Sitting behind a desk, or working a set amount of hours; based on someone's else version of a schedule is too mundane for me. If I get an urge at midnight, or 3 am, I want to set into what ever fire has been lit, I like the flexibility to do so.

After 3 long years of "rediscovering" myself, I have learned so much about myself. I am definitely not of the typical employee mindset material. I follow my own rules, values, morals and expectations. I am not someone who is going to blindly follow everyone else's lead. I love to make my own paths, even when they are overgrown! I love the gypsy/free spirited side of myself. Even though the responsibility side has become a very powerful one for me, more times than not, I love to just throw caution to the wind, and do what I want to do...instead of always doing what I have to do. I don't run from my responsibilities, and more times than not, they actually over-run me. However, there are times I would love to just say, "screw it!" I tire of being worried about finances, about keeping up with any number of ongoing projects that HAVE to be finished; and just making the time, taking the money and doing what I actually want to do.

Ideally, my dream would include doing everything I love to do, while making an income to help justify the expense. Could I really accomplish my dreams? I'm sure I could, with the right resources. The hardest part of all dreams for me, is my own lack of confidence in my own skills. I love all that I do, and feel I do everything with relative success. I just haven't had enough support, or enough resources to pursue most of my dreams. The right resources, including knowing the best places to market, the right people, and the right outlets for each dream; are very sketchy.

So, what would you do, if you could chase a dream, or are you already chasing one? I would love to hear from each of you! Comment below, send a personal email if you choose. What fires are burning deep in your gut? What dreams are you taking or wanting to take out of the shadows?

Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment