Sunday, November 26, 2017

Christmas to me...




About a week ago, I asked, on my social media page, what Christmas meant to the friends on my list. While the responses were very limited, most of them were pretty general: Family, God and time with extended family. So rather than write a small book on social media, I want to share what Christmas means to me.

Christmas. It's such a decisive time of year. For the most part, people either love it or don't. You hear the arguments of the cost, of family disputes, or distance. All are relevant arguments, but I believe people have forgotten how to listen to their heart. Sure, Christmas has become a massive marketing campaign and the constant commercials for stuff we really do not need is tedious. However, we all have choices.

Christmas is a magical time, to me. Finances are always tight in my household, and Christmas shopping makes them worse, but we have never gone overboard in our house. Each year, we average $100 per child, and this includes a few gifts from Santa. We do not purchase electronics, and we do limit greedy thinking as much as possible. A quick back story here...When my oldest was about 7 or 8 years old, he was told on the school bus that Santa was not real. I've always been told to believe in the magic of the season. So, at that time, I sat down to talk about that magic, with a very upset young man. I told him that Santa is metaphor for the magic that Christmas brings. That many people do not believe in Santa or the magic. I explained that in our home, Santa is very real, and so is the magic. His young mind accepted that, but he wanted to make a request to Santa and the magic of the season. He wanted to ask Santa to only give him a couple of presents, so that the older kids that didn't believe, could get their wishes and believe in Christmas again. Since that year, that's exactly what "Santa" did.

That year, "Santa" gave him 3 gifts. 2 that were things he really wanted, and 1 for being such a kind person. That year, we began doing more to help less fortunate families in our area. We'd purchase gifts for the Angel Tree, and buy food to donate to local food pantries. A couple of years ago, we began the same tradition with my daughter. Last year was a big struggle, not only financially, but also emotionally. Although we do do a little bit, it was not nearly what I would love to do.

Christmas to me is all about feeling. Selfishly, I wish people could feel this spirit every day, all day! Christmas is warm and cozy feelings. It's spending time with loved ones and those whom you hold close to your heart. It's gathering of family and friends; sharing homemade cookies and treats. Christmas is beautiful decorations, long-standing traditions, it's offering random acts of kindness without having to make an effort, because it feels natural. Christmas is remembering to feel the emotions that many of us either push aside, bury, or try to hide the rest of the year. I love to give, even though I don't do good with the receiving side. Not that I'm not appreciative, I really am, but giving is my forte.

Christmas for me, includes watching every Christmas movie I can watch, to remember those truly heart felt emotions. It's also daydreaming about some of those emotions that you haven't felt in years. It's wanting to help bring back the Christmas spirit and magic, to those that have forgotten or have fallen on hard times. It's making sure that no one is alone or lonely on Christmas, or any other time of the year, for me.

Christmas to me, is so much more than purchased gifts, and endless debt to purchase those gifts. Christmas is such a beautiful time of year. It's a time to share what you have, open your home to the magic and cherish those you care the most for.

I'm trying to teach my children to be kind all year, but for me, it begins in this season. That kindness doesn't need to be grand, things as simple as holding a door, offering a shopping cart when you are finished with it, buying the person in front of you coffee/drink. It's making an effort every single day to help bring light someone else.

Christmas to me is so much more substantial than consumerism. Anyone can go out to purchase a gift. Anyone can whip out a credit/debit card to buy something that another person probably dosn't need. While I am making some purchases this year, my family is also doing some homemade gifts. These to me are so much more meaningful. Knowing the thought, time and effort that go into homemade gifts is knowing the heartfelt care that others have towards me, and me for them.

So today, I'm going to end this post with a few final thoughts. Each time you are out during this season, do something kind. Take the time, energy and yes even a few dollars; and help bring the spirit to someone else. If you are going to be alone, find someone that you can share your time with...Christmas, especially, is not the time to be alone. Remember what Christmas means to you, beyond the financial stress, beyond the constant push of television commercials and advertising. Take the time to make your home look beautiful for the season, whether that be a whimsical decor or modern. Make a donation at a local food bank, or to an agency that gives gifts to the less fortunate. Start bringing your children into the mindset of giving, and being less materialistic. Help them learn to give, and receive less.

Merry Christmas, friends.
Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment