Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Coffee Chat

 


Coffee Chat 


Where do I begin?! We are on the cusp of Fall, already. The actual first day of Fall is September 23rd this year, but September is our unofficial start around here. This is always a busy month around our farm, as we are trying to wrap up projects that have to be done before it gets cold. This year, we have added our son's wedding, and a week of hosting his future in-laws from Italy. I am personally thrilled to have some time with them, and even for the wedding. It's just a lot of work and planning, and organizing to still get done what is required. It's kind of terrifying as a mom, to realize my oldest child is getting married. It has taken some serious effort to allow the mom role to shift. For this mom, there have been a lot of transitions that I am having to come to terms with...not all of which I am handling well. So, I'm going to chat about everything briefly this morning, before I make myself busy enough to stop thinking as much.


Fall prep on a farm, is kind of a challenge. We live by weather signs, nature signs, and yes - even some folk lore. It's strange how much folk lore is more accurate than forecasts. Anyway, I have already felt the shift in nature. I have begun seeing caterpillars, most of which are red or white. Early predictions from persimmon seeds in Tennessee and Missouri, are showing spoons in the seeds. That typically means cold/snowy or wet winter. That will be good for the drought conditions, but not for livestock, tank heaters, hay usage, feed usage, straw bedding, or lamb season. Due to the drought conditions in our area this year, we did not get all of what we will need for the winter. Purchasing hay, is a massive expense when it's upwards of $100 bale...and as high as $210 bale. We got some square bales put up this that will help feed the goats, and the ewe/lambs during lambing season. Hopefully it's enough. Harvesting from the gardens and orchard has been phenomenal this year, but will have a 2 week delay with the wedding/guests and our annual veteran hunt. However, I decided to plant a late crop of tomatoes(our most used food item) this year, and they are setting on well right now. So, there is a good chance I will still be canning in November this year. Our apples, peaches and potatoes set on heavy this year. The sweet potatoes won't be dug until after the first frost. I will continue canning soups, stews, tomatoes, potatoes, sweet potatoes, apples, peaches and blackberries; but not until the end of the month and throughout next month. We still have to get our logs ordered for the winter that will heat our house, but we are still in good shape to at least get the furnace started for a couple weeks, if need be. I have the entire deck enclosure to redo this year as the latest storm has torn even more of the plastic panels. So, that will be a weekend project after the main events this month. For me, figuring out what kind of feed schedule I will have for my critters has been a challenge. The heat this summer did not fare well for my chicken flock. I have less than 2 dozen birds left, so at least the feed cost has diminished...but isn't good for the total egg production. Not to mention that my chickens are a peaceful creature for me. I have 10 ducks to wrangle for the winter, too. I managed to end up with 5 breeding pairs, but several do not get along well. The goats will have their own pen by next month, and that will help control the feed waste. I have roughly 900(this year and last) jars of food preserved and that will help manage the food budget for the people on the farm. This year is a little different as my husband is coming into the main harvest of Fall, and his job is already short staffed....it means he will be working more and giving him less time at the farm to get things done.


As many of you know, I have been preaching about stocking up your pantries. Well, I practice what I preach. As I said earlier, I ran out of coffee, while I was trying to rotate my stock. It reminded me that I have to get many things rotated, used and restocked. While I always pick up a few extra things whenever I am out, the next 2 months will undoubtedly be getting even more supplies refilled. I have replenished the first aid supplies and I believe we are in good shape there. The paper products will need to be refilled after this month. The animal feeds will begin to be overstocked in the coming months too. We try to keep at least an extra 2-3 week supply of animal food in the event that we can't get a delivery or go pick something up due to weather. I will be getting an extra gallon or two of milk, to freeze for emergency or running out before I get to the store. I have frozen several eggs too. I know I use about 100 lbs. of flour, 100 lbs. of sugar, 20 lbs. of brown sugar, and 20 lbs. of powdered sugar from October through March, so I will be restocking those. My household cleaners are few, but I have stocked vinegar, my essential oils are currently ok, my windex is good, as is my lysol. I know I will go through about 8 gallons of olive oil from October to March, so I will be checking my backups for that too.I do need to restock my frozen backups of whipping cream and half & half. I can't keep those things stocked when I am cooking and baking winter foods.


Having a child reach adulthood, has to be one of the strangest things I have experienced. Even though he's been an adult for a few years now, it's another transition entirely to watch as he begins his own family, with a wife. It's been difficult for me, as I truly dedicated even minute to both my kids. He's my oldest, I still have a few years with the youngest...but it's a major transition, none-the-less! I know I have to trust that I raised my kids right, taught them as much as I could, and allow them to prosper. It's hard though! I have tried to give the best advice I could, from my own lessons in life. Tried to steer them away from making the same stupid mistakes, avoidable mistakes. Teaching to live within or believe their means, keeping debt to a minimum, using logic and common sense, not just checking off boxes that many generations have and knowing that they just wise enough to understand all this. It's a challenge to have to step back, and have to learn to mother differently. It's hard for me, to never know what is going on, even when he has lived under the same roof. I have had to come to terms with knowing that I am not longer "needed" and I am no longer the person he asks for advice. I will admit, I'm struggling through it. 


As the 2nd event at our farm is looming, again, I'm struggling. I'm trying to keep everything straight but holy smokes....if it wasn't for copious amounts of notes....I'm pretty certain I wouldn't know which end was up! Our annual veteran deer hunt begins the 21st, just 6 days after the wedding. So, I'm kind of running around like a chicken with my head cut off!! I still need to touch base with a few businesses for donations, need to get with our partner group to get those donations, shirts, and anything else we need to take care of there. I have gotten all the food, the lodge is reserved, the rentals are reserved, I believe we are in good shape for volunteers, I have the canopy sides in hand, so I believe all that is left is cooking, and getting everything paid for and getting everything set up. I've done this enough years now, I have a pretty good handle on most things. I just get flustered trying to make this event a good one for the veterans. That is truly where my heart lays...with them. 


I need to get into my day, but after not much sleep last night, I'm really dragging. What was supposed to be sunshine and 77 today, is currently cloudy and 68....I need the sun!!! I guess I will have to muster up some motivation from somewhere! A nap sounds really good though. 


It's time to get the show on the road. Maybe my brain will function as well as it did yesterday. Have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment