Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My Opinion


As someone who is extremely opinionated, and attempts to keep up with EVERYTHING…I have to say that this world has lost its mind!  I have read blogs, read the news stories, get newsletter from the Republican candidates, and the White House, and hear many opinions from family and friends.  I am not a typical person.  I am a firm believer in, we are the masters of our own destiny, that we create the issues in our lives, that everyone has an opportunity to better themselves, and that everyone deserves to be happy.  However, not everyone has the same definition of happy.  I am a firm believer in living a life that is as natural as possible, without interruptions from outside sources.  I believe that unless you are paying my bills, or raising my children, then you really have no input into how we live our lives.  I do not say any of this to be disrespectful to anyone, but not everyone will agree with us and that’s ok.  But respect my decisions and I will respect yours!

I can remember being told that there are a few things you should never discuss…politics, religion, and sex!  Well, since I have always been the type of person to do exactly what I was told not to do…I’m going to give my opinion on most of that and more!
As insane as this world has become, it seems to me, that everyone is fast to blame everyone else for everything!  In my grandparent’s generation, they took responsibility for themselves.  They didn’t blame anyone for the issues at hand.  They worked together to solve the issue and got on with their lives.  They lived with food rations, small incomes, and the uncertainty of World War II.  They lived within their means, they lived by a budget, and still managed to teach their children respect.  They had modest homes, not huge houses.  They drove and repaired their own vehicles; they grew gardens and planned for the coming winter by canning and freezing everything possible.  They had enough livestock to support their family, and they made everything from scratch…not boxes.  They only went to doctors when they absolutely had to, they treated minor illnesses with homemade tinctures and herbs, and even though most in that era only had an 8th grade education…they were smarter than some that are graduating from college now.  They were hard workers; they provided for their families, they helped their neighbors…even though most of their lives were tough.  Now, however, everyone expects everything handed to them.  All the hard work of my grandparent’s generation is all but forgotten. 
Whether it’s politics, education, health care, or any number of other topics; we’ve learned that we can blame someone else for our own short-comings and that makes everything alright.  We are off the hook, and don’t have to take any responsibility.  The blame game starts at our top levels in federal government and filter right down into our very communities.  For lack of better terminology, we’ll use the Medias terms, we have become a welfare nation.  We expect the government to fix all our problems.  I am not against helping folks with a hand up, but so many expect hand outs and that is what has gotten this country to where it’s at. 
I cannot say that I have a political preference.  I have voted for both major parties, and have issues with both parties as well.  Both parties talk the talk, but neither of them walks the walk.  The politics in this country have become a divider for her citizens.  Rather than focusing on the issues, solving the problems, and moving on…BOTH parties have chosen to bicker like school kids, blame others, and neither party has used a lick of common sense.  I have found some of their talking points that I agree with, in both parties.  However, I have yet to see any real initiative from either party.  They would rather pit Americans against each other and skirt all the issues.  Personally, I can see strong points in each presidential candidate we have this year.  And before anyone bashes any of the candidates, I want you to realize that we are Americans.  Our elected officials are supposed to work for US…not the other way around.  So, here is my take:
Republicans:
1.        Mitt – Yes, he has worked in government and in the private sector.  He does have business sense, and has turned failing businesses into profitable ones (might work with our economy). This man scares me!  Something about him, tells me he’s shady.  He’s already playing the game of politics and can’t connect with real working class Americans.
2.       Newt – OMG!  This man has been in politics for YEARS!  He knows how the game is played, and can talk a good game.  However, we’ve already had so many in the congress/senate and White House that have can’t be faithful.  I see him as the pot calling the kettle black!  He makes me nervous.  
3.       Rick – This man is virtually unknown.  He was a senator for Pennsylvania, and seems to be someone who has worked for the people.  But he is just not known. 
4.       Ron – Although I agree with his domestic policies, I worry that his foreign policy would hurt America as a whole.  We don’t need more wars, but it doesn’t make sense to me that we would completely abandon our interests overseas.  Maybe his point of view is exactly what we need as a country, I’m just not sure.  I like him, and agree that our freedom, liberty and rights have been infringed upon for many years and we accept this as a “security measure.”  I believe it’s a false security.
Democratic:
1.       President Obama – I cannot say that I agree with most of our President’s ideas, plans, and “progress” to this point.  He is a strong speech deliverer, and does have a few ideas I can agree with.  However, many of his ideas have hurt the small communities and small businesses across the country.  Many Americans are worse off now than they were just 4 years ago.  I do know that many of the ideas he has had, have been held up in congress but he has not brought the sides together.  If anything he has put a bigger gap between them. 
Congress:
Our elected officials in the Congress and the Senate have neglected to remember who they work for!  They are making back room deals, being bought out by lobbyists, and have worked to line their pockets on American tax payers back.  They have become driven by greed, party lines, and no ethics. 
The multiple agencies within the federal government have taken over and they don’t have to account for anything they are doing.  Although many of them were put in place to help, the majority are making things worse and costing tax payers billions of dollars every year!  Not to mention costing businesses millions, forcing some to close their doors, and those they employ to be unemployed. 
As I look at my family’s current state of affairs, I have to say that overall, we are living the “American dream.”  I have been fortunate to be able to be a stay-at-home mom for most of my  kids’ lives, we have a small farm, my husband has a full time job that seems to be secure, we live in a small rural community, and we try to buy as much locally as possible.  We’ve made many sacrifices to be able to enjoy this type of lifestyle, but we manage.  I have been lucky enough to enjoy 2 home-based businesses that make a little extra income to help out some, we grow our garden, we can whatever is possible, we don’t have a huge outstanding debt, we teach our children at home – allowing us to give them the best education we feel is possible, and we try to live as naturally as possible.  We buy groceries on a monthly basis, I plan meals and make enough to have 2 from each, I make as much as possible from scratch, and we don’t “keep up with the Jones’.”  We work and live our lives each day, for our children and for us.  We don’t work just to pay debts.  I won’t lie and say our life is free of issues, nor is it perfect…but it’s comfortable, it’s real, and it’s ours. 

My 2 home-based businesses are for me.  Yes, the little bit extra that they bring in, help with our family budget, but they are both something I believe in and enjoy.  For me, I cannot be the type of person that tells people about others who are making 6 figures, or those that have done so in this amount or that amount of time.  I am not a hype type of person.  I want to know my risks, I want to know real numbers, I want to know that it’s something I can personally believe in, and I want to know that it’s something that would fit in my personal budget.  I spent time with a few other businesses that either did not work for me, or that has all but gone belly up.  I am a firm believer in a quality product, a quality price, and integrity at every level.  I am always happy to share the information about both companies, but I will not give you hype!  I will tell you that ANY home-based business requires work, dedication, and honesty.  You have to be able to believe in any product, yourself, before you can sell it to someone else!  If you are in a business just for the money, you may eventually get it, but you can lose that money just as fast as you get if you do not respect and believe in the product!
As always, my opinions are very strong, and resonate deep within my heart and soul.  I try to make educated decisions, and respect everyone – even if I don’t agree with their opinions.  I expect respect from others, even though I have found that many don’t use respect anymore.  I will be honest with everyone, but I will not compromise my own integrity to tell others what they want to hear.  I have a deep faith in God, however, I refuse to sit in a building with a bunch of hypocrites to “prove,” my faith. 

I wish each of you reading, the peace and faith that I feel and hope you will share your respect, love, and integrity in everything you do.
Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment