Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Politics, Opinion, and Me!

As I watched the State of the Union address, last night, I couldn't help but raise my eyebrows...several times!  Most of you know that the last 3 years, I have not agreed with most of President Obama's views.  However, the more I research and the more I listen to the mindless bickering between both parties, friends, and family...I can't help but understand WHY our country is in the shape it's in.  President Obama said a few things that resonated with me.  In his remark from the Constitution, that the government should not get involved in things that the people could do better themselves, I think this is right.  Our federal government has been out of control for years.  Long before Obama, before the 2nd Bush, and even as good as the domestic economy was, even under Clinton.  From my own research, and helping my son learn history, the federal government began rolling down hill during the Carter era.  So, to blame the current economy, and current events on G.W. Bush, or President Obama is hypocritical and misinformed.  Every current politician has their own personal character flaws, in my opinion.  Not to mention, not a single American, is not going to agree 100% with any candidate.  While I believe our President has some strong ideas, I also agree that a couple of the Republican candidates for president have a few ideas that I also agree with.  I do not believe the State of the Union should have been used as a kick off for his re-election campaign, I do believe that the constant bickering, and lack of values is a complete waste of tax payer money!    It's not enough that tax payers pay the outrageous salaries of our Congress and President.  We are also burdened with their lack of financial knowledge.  It's not just Democratic nor is it just Republican.  BOTH parties have neglected to understand even the basic understanding of budgeting, let alone knowing anything about the Constitution!  I don't care what generation you are in, the Constitution of the United States of America, The People's Bill of Rights...were intended to be the supreme law of the land.  Do I think of myself as Tea Party Activist? NO!  I am an American!  I am a Mom, and a wife.  I worry that my kids will never know what it truly means to be free, and what it took to keep our freedom.  I worry that if one day I have grandchildren, they will be so debt laden that they will not ever know the American dream.  I worry that the special interests of this country are being put above the average American person.  I worry that the morals and values of not only our politicians, but also our people are falling apart.  Do I believe all the promises made by any candidate?  NOT HARDLY!  I am not naive, and I believe that a majority of what they spew out is basically lip service.  The majority of Americans are well aware that it takes ALL 3 branches of government working together to get anything accomplished.  I'm not a churchy person, however, I do have a  strong faith.  But in my opinion, if we all went back to the basics of the bible..."Do unto others, as you'd have done unto you," respect, honesty, and moral values...we'd all be much better off.  Do I see this happening? Yeah right! HA!  I'm so tired of hearing this one is a Christian, this one is a Mormon, this one is a Muslim, or a Jew.  You know what....we are PEOPLE!  We all bleed red blood, and all have a desire to do the best we can do for our family.  We are the PEOPLE of the United States of America!  All the last 12 years have shown me is that, we are forgetting this!  We see in color, we see in religion, and we don't see in our neighbors/friends, communities anymore.  We look to the government for handouts, we expect the government to take care of our irresponsibility's, and our desire for instant gratifications.  In my opinion, it's time for Americans to wake up, take responsibility for their own lives and learn to use discretion, learn to budget, re-learn to help their neighbors and communities, it's time to get back to the laws written in the Constitution, and learn to live within their means.  No matter who becomes President in November's election...nothing will be fixed until everyone can get over their petty and childish bickering, and start working for the people who have hired them.  I believe that the politicians should NEVER, have a salary greater than that of a citizen who works hard every day, no politician should pay less in taxes than I do, no politician should be allowed to make a career of being a politician, and NO politician should have benefits, pensions, or expense accounts greater than those hard-working Americans that have to struggle to pay their bills or buy groceries!  Here's a thought...one party for President, and one party for Vice-President!  Level the playing field, and use the best ideas from BOTH parties!



We need American energy.  We need the pipeline, we need more drilling on U.S. soil, we need more coal plants, and Nuclear plants.  We need the currents plants and drilling equipment to be modified and updated.  As Americans, we need to be self-sufficient.  We need to raise our GDP, we need to raise our productions right here in the U.S., We need to penalize those that produce products outside of America and than bring them into this country to sell, we need to reward those companies that have or bring jobs back to America.  Yes, I heard this line in the S.O.T.U.  I do agree with this!  Americans need jobs, and we need these companies to bring back the jobs to employ them. 

We need regulations and government interference out of civilian business!  I know personally of businesses harassed by the EPA, and those businesses will likely close their doors if it continues.  That means over 100 people in our small community would lose their jobs, my husband included.  These unaccountable agencies are over stepping their intended purpose and go against our very Constitution!  The many agencies that have been developed over the years, have long been unaccounted for and have overrun their intent.  All of them, at one point, had a purpose...but are outdated, and costing more American jobs.  In the respect, I am fully supportive of Dr. Ron Paul.  Start eliminating many of the departments and return the power to each individual state.  We the people are smarter than we are given credit for, and have become more dependent on federal government than our founders ever wanted. 

Our military should never have to go without any of supplies needed to accomplish their missions, or keep them safe.  Our service members have fought, served and some have given their lives for our freedom.  There is absolutely NO excuse that they should have to go without needed supplies when they are sent to protect our country.  These service members and their families give everything for this country, and we should always thank them, make sure they get their paychecks, make sure they get the health care they are entitled to without all the red tape!  These men and women are the defenders of our country and our freedom. 

So, as I wrap up my personal thoughts on last nights State of the Union address, I will say this...no matter who you support during the elections, just keep in mind that only a fraction of their promises will ever be met.  Not necessarily because they don't try, but because of the special interests, lobbyists, and the constant bickering on Capital Hill. 

Wishing you all happiness and prosperity,
Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment