Saturday, January 14, 2012

Super Mom or Super Crazy?!?!

As so many, myself included, spend time on Facebook everyday...it's interesting what you actually learn.  A friend of mine, had a post this morning from a blog.  That blog was one I had never seen.  As I was reading through it, several realizations hit me and I learned that I am not the only Mom that goes through this!  So, from this Mom's view point, here is my day...

By 5 am, if I'm not already awake, Richard wakes me up with "coffee is ready, get up!" : )  We drink our coffee, and talk about several things we can't when the kids are awake.  Some days we talk just a little, but relax, in complete silence, and just "be."  By 6 am, he is getting ready for work, I am packing his lunch(since we now live too far for him to come home), and getting our day planned.  Between 6:30 and 7 am, he leaves for work, and then I have about 30 minutes to myself before the kids get up.  By 8 am, the kids are up, Joey is rushing out the door to take care of the animals and many times to take the 4-wheeler to Grandma's so he can visit(and she usually has breakfast going that he loves!).  Chloe and I eat our breakfast and I start getting that mess cleaned up, running her to the potty chair, starting laundry, fielding phone calls for candle orders/parties or calls from Richard asking me to do something he forgot.  9 am seems to be the magic hour!  Joey is home from Grandma's, chores are done, Chloe has settled into playing(briefly), laundry is going, the dishwasher is going and now the day is officially under way.  This is usually the time I get dressed, start planning our evening meal, writing out bills, monitoring our budget, answering a million "why's" from Chloe, solving some sort of drama for Joey, and attempting to catch up with a few friends online.  The 10 am hour, is the "witching hour," in our house.  10 until noon is the yucky part of the school work.  That's when we have to sit at the table, work on worksheets, discuss whatever book he's supposed to be reading, have some drama over the importance of learning, and finally finish in time for lunch.  12 -1 pm, is lunch and free time.  Since I fix 3 meals a day...I usually always have dishes, the dishwasher is always running, and I seem to always be cooking!  1-3pm it's time to come back to the table for more of the yucky part of school work.  More covering of required subjects, working around Chloe screaming or having a total meltdown, both kids wanting snacks, more phone calls, and trying to get Chloe down for a nap.  By this time everyday, I question my sanity, my parenting ability, and am looking for my Calgon!  3 pm is Joey's release from the formal school day.  Now, the life skills come in again.  At 3, there's chores to be done again, housework that hasn't been done, supper to start, Chloe's finally napping - so everyone must be quiet, and some sort of drama with chores not going "as planned!"  By 6 pm, supper is ready, Richard's home from work, there's been at least 1 arguement between Richard and Joey, Chloe is up, we are rushing to the potty chair a million times and demanding Richard's attention.  I am exhausted but dishing up the kids supper, plus Richard's and mine.  We finally sit down to supper and I'm almost too tired to eat.  By 7 pm, I'm cleaning up supper, Richard is playing with Chloe and attempting to find a common interest with Joey.  I sit for a few minutes and get online, only to be stopped with someone's needs or wants; more sippy, can't get the remote to work, "honey, I don't know what she's saying or wants,"  or on a mission to find out why she's quiet.  9 pm is supposed to be showers/baths and reading time....I say "supposed," because it usually doesn't work that way.  By 10, Joey is sleeping and Chloe is fighting not to go to sleep.  It's a constant battle to get her to bed.  It's usually 11:30 before she finally crashes.  Then, I can finally crash.  I am usually so tired, I either crash instantly or I'm soooo tired that I lay awake for another hour before finally drifting off.  Then at 5 am, the day starts all over.

This is our typical day.  Now, I am NOT complaining, nor would I change much.  I just don't think people realize what's involved for us.  Fortunately, I have Richard's Mom who takes the kids for me, so I can have a break once in awhile. 

Having 2 kids and having them at very different ages has proven a challenge for me.  My kid's personalities are different as night and day.  Joey, now 11, although he has become more dramatic as he gets older, is the laid back-easy going child.  He's a loving and caring child, with a heart of gold.  He's willing to do anything and help with anything....except cleaning his room! ; )  Chloe, now almost 3(March), on the other hand, is my high maintenance child.  She demands attention from the time she wakes up until she finally crashes at night.  She is demanding, in to everything, climbs on everything, and has many traits that Joey never had.  We've had to try to conquer  the biting, pinching, hitting and throwing things as she seems to get more ornery as she gets older.  Even as babies, these kids were completely opposite.  Joey was a difficult baby.  I think he spent the first year of his life crying!  I lived on coffee and sadly, cigarettes.  I had gained 83 pounds while pregnant with him.  I left the hospital 45 pounds lighter, and was down to 100 pounds within 3 weeks.  I looked and felt like crap!  With Chloe, she was the "perfect" baby.  She rarely cried, she mostly slept through the night from the time we brought her home.  She slept in her crib, and was just easy.  I only gained 45 pounds while I was pregnant with her, but it took longer to lose it too.  Honestly, by the time I had Chloe, I didn't care if I lost it or not.  Chloe was my "surprise" child.  I was past the "baby" stage.  I was happy with having just Joey, and it has taken me a while to get readjusted to having 2 kids, actually longer than I thought it would. 

As different as their personalities are, it's sometimes a juggling act between the kids.  Then you have the days when both kids wake up in poor moods and those are the days that I wonder why I was chosen to have kids.  I know many in my family have laughed, and said that my kids each have an aspect of my own personality.  That may be, and that may also be why we hit heads...but it doesn't make the days any easier! 

As we start a new year, in our new home, with so many new adventures and so much uncharted territory....I can only wonder what this year will bring about.  Personally, I have found myself trying to find myself! LOL...if that makes any sense!  Aside from our regular daily schedules, I'm still trying finish unpacking, organizing, reorganizing, finding a better less hectic schedule, make more time for me, and finish projects that need done here at home.  I'm learning new tasks, and doing so very willingly, and learning the life of a farm wife/mom.  Although, we have lived outside of town since we've been married, we now own a farm and livestock.  I have found some great support in friends, other home school moms, family, a group of farm women, and neighbors.  The end of 2011, brought not only major changes in our lives, but also a change in my perspectives.  An awakening of sorts.

I say awakening, because a lot of my personal thoughts have been altered/changed completely.  This year Richard and I will celebrate our 13th anniversary.  Although most people change over the course of their life/marriage, I find that my personal changes have been pretty extreme.  To go from a "city" girl, living life fast and loving every minute to being a country boys wife, mom, and living in the sticks in a different state...has allowed me a lot of room to grow.  I have been given the best of both worlds.  14 years ago, I didn't know the slightest about canning/freezing food, I didn't know how to take care of livestock, I didn't understand the concept of not having everything at my fingertips.  Although, my life in Illinois was full and fullfilling...it was lacking substance, purpose and direction.  Early on in my marriage, my life was still lacking in many departments....who would have guessed that the course of my life would be altered so dramatically...and with my knowledge and not doing so kicking and screaming! 

I have spent the last year, learning to reflect and be grateful for everything I have/don't have.  I have spent the past year learning to appreciate even the smallest of blessings.  I can only pray that everyone can take 30 minutes a day to thank God for each and every breath you take, each and every blessing - no matter how small, and learn to love the person that is reflected in the mirror everyday.

2012 is going to be a year with a multitude of changes/adventures/and rediscorvery for me and my family.  One of my goals for this year is to update this blog on a more regular basis and maybe in my silly/unconventional blog posts help someone, in some way, rediscover themselves or to realize that we are all in this together! : )

God Bless!
Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment