Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Being frugal is not being cheap.

As I watch more and more people trying to be frugal, and wanting a more natural, less toxic life style...I have to smile.  I began our switch to a natural lifestyle years ago(10 to be exact!).  I still learn new tricks and have learned how to adjust recipes to fit what I want.  Plus I still learn new recipes all the time.  So, for today's blog...I want to share a few tricks I've learned, a few recipes, and hopefully it will help someone else wanting to "go natural!"

Recipes:
Laundry Soap - 1 to 2 cups borax 20 mule team, 1-2 cups washing soda, and 1 bar of fels-naptha.  Grate the bar of fals-naptha into a pan(not aluminum).  Pour 3-4 cups of water over the grated soap.  Heat on medium stirring frequently until all the soap has liquified.  In a 5-6 gallon container, mix the borax and washing soda. After the soap has liquified, pour it over the borax and washing soda. Once you have mixed all the ingredients together, you will add about 5 gallons of warm water. You will want to stir the mix really well.  This mix will need to sit overnight.  The next morning stir well, and you are ready to use it!  I use about a 1/2 cup of this mix per load of laundry.  This recipe makes about 5-6 gallons.

Fabric Softner Sheets - You will need coffee filters, a liquid fabric softner(or a homemade version), a container that is sealable and leak proof.  Use 2 TBS of fabric softner, and 1 cup of warm water, I mix these in a paper cup.  In your container, fold the coffee filters in half and stack as many as your container will hold.  Once you have done this, pour your mixture over the filters.  Once you put the lid on and let them sit for about 2 hours, the liquid will soak into the coffee filters.  Use 1 filter per load.  These filters can be reused 3-5 times before they are worn out.

Window Cleaner - You will need a clean spray bottle, vinegar, and peroxide.  In the spray bottle, mix equal parts of vinegar and peroxide.  That's all there is to it!

All purpose cleaner - In a spray bottle, mix 1 cup of vinegar, 1 cup of water, and about 5-8 drops of your favorite essential oil.  This will work for all your cleaning needs!

Dishwasher Soap - 1 TBS Borax, 1 TBS washing soda, and 1 TBS vinegar.  Mix the borax and washing soda in your soap dispenser, add the vinegar to your rinse aid or prewash.

I've learned some tips and tricks for flavoring food as well.  One of my favorite spice combinations is onion, green pepper, dried garlic flakes, parsley, chives, course ground pepper, sea salt, and extra virgin olive oil.  I start these in a pan sauteeing before I'm ready to start the meat cooking.  The flavors are so much more vibrant and abundant. 

I have also learned to cook with turmeric.  Although a staple in places such as Thailand and China, it's fairly new to the cooking world.  I personally add 1 tsp of turmeric to any of the dishes I cook once I add the meat to the previous mixture. 

Another trick for those that have diabetes....add 1/4 tsp to every meal and over time it will help regulate your sugar levels.

Although I do work with a company offering a heath challenge, I am a firm believer in changing your diets, your lifestyles, and you will change your life!  I use the healthy challenge, but I also take vitamins to improve my overall health.

Vitamins I recommend:
ZINC - 50 mg
D3 - 35 IU's per pound of body weight
CoQ10 - 200-400 mg twice a day (I personally use Ubiquinal 300)


These are the vitamins and doses I take daily.  In addition to these, I use the health challenge and make a smoothie.  The recipes vary for my smoothie, but here's my favorite:

2 big handfuls of raw baby spinach, 1 full banana, 1/4 blueberries, 1/2 green apple, 2 scoops of Vi shake mix and 1 tsp raw honey, and t tbs of golden flax seed.  Liquify in blender, usually takes about 5 minutes. Pour in your glass and enjoy!

I have several great and healthy smoothie recipes, and can't wait to try them all!

I have also learned to shop and be frugal in that task.  I have a meal schedule that allows me to have 30 different meals, for an entire month of groceries.  When I shop, I try to do it for a month at a time.  Naturally, some of the groceries can not be bought like that, but those products are bought in 2 week intervals.  Although I try to plan my meals for certain days...it doesn't always work.  So, I also try to be flexable with easy meal option for busy days and can play around with the meals. 

I have the convience of a local store that offers bulk spices, bulk flours and sugars, and many times they are substantially cheaper than buying them at the retail level.  I also recommend growing your own fresh produce!  When you grow it yourself, you know exactly what you are getting.  You don't have to have a huge yard area to grow your own produce.  For example...a single tomato plant can produce several dozen tomatoes.  A single pepper plant can produce 20 plus peppers.  You can grow your own herbs in containers on your deck/porch.  You can grow green onions in a pint jar with the root end of a store bought green onion, and you can do the same with the root end of celery. 

I hope this information will help everyone in one way or another.  Being frugal does not mean your cheap.  It simple means that you are willing to take care of your family naturally, financial security, and using common sense over big retail toxicity.

Happy Frugality! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment