Friday, March 30, 2012

Exciting findings when you know where to look!

Anyone who knows me, knows I have a strange sense of humor that can change by the minute!  Although I am very opinionated, I do try to be reasonable and listen to other opinions even if I don't agree.  So, for the sake of my opinion, I have ventured into exploring and researching other blogs/facebook for other like minded and not-so-like-minded families.  It is so amazing to me who technology has changed everything so much.  When I graduated high school(19 yrs ago) computers were a specialty item and very expensive.  We thought we were on top of the world when we finally got one!  Now, it seems that everyone has at least one computer.  Everyone is on facebook, twitter, or any number of other "social" media outlets.  Myself, I have been on Myspace, then went on to Facebook, and just recently ventured into Twitter.  It's changed the way we view people, the way we research, and the very way we operate our lives.  How many of us panic when the internet isn't working, or we can't find our cell phones, and the first time my son asked me what a rotary phone was...I almost choked!  I am not old by any fashion, but technology has expanded so fast that the 25 yr difference in ages has not allowed the younger generation to experience such things as the rotary phone, the cassette tapes, let alone those huge bulky original video cameras that weighed upwards of 30 lbs. : )

So, as I was researching this morning looking for new blogs, new facebook fan pages, and new web sites for areas that interest me; I came across so many that I finally had to just stop.  There is a wealth of information online.  Many times I find it overwhelming and then my brain goes into this crazy warped thought game.  I wonder how and why some people write/share some things that are just too personal for my likings.  Then I look at another site and am wanting more information.  It's crazy I know.  Then you find websites like Pinterest that seems to always have the simplest ideas, that you never thought of, but they seem so "common sense."  It's fun to read other blogs about gardening, other moms/wives and their daily routines/struggles, or for me other Moms that home school, or work a business from home. 

While I was exploring this morning, I found a few blogs with interesting titles and clicked around.  They were fun, informational, somewhat too religious for me, but all in all were just other moms doing what they feel is best for their families.  It made me decide to write again.  Writing has always been the easiest way for me to express myself, and many times that's made for a lot of miscommunication.  Since communication is such a huge part of any relationship, not being able to voice my thoughts properly has caused its share of problems.  For many years, I would sit down and write out my feelings and thoughts, then my husband would read them.  Yes, he ALWAYS dreaded those "journals."  That was the easiest way for me to say what I felt without feeling so vulnerable.  Sticking to this subject, our son has found he likes some of the older shows that my husband and I used to watch.  Last night it was Family Ties.  Alex and his girlfriend were arguing over communication and repression of emotions.  At the end he said that letting his walls down allowed him to be vulnerable.  He finally opened up to her and said his walls were down.  Personally, I built walls as a young person, that even to this day are up.  As my husband and I were talking about this episode and kind of laughing about the 80's styles, it made me realize that many of the walls I built as a young person are still fully intact.  And honestly, I know why, I know they aren't healthy, but they are still there none-the-less.  I have always kept people at arms length to protect myself. 

So, as I get older and find that the brain-to-mouth filter that many people have....is mostly non-existant for me.  Many times I speak my mind and my thoughts and typically it upsets people.  I have matured enough to really not place much value on what other people think....but sometimes I get angry that people aren't more open minded.  Just because something has done one way for a long time, doesn't necessarily mean it's the only way.  One lesson I learned during high school, was that there are always two sides to every story.  Regardless if you agree with it or not...there's always two sides.  I try to listen to both sides of a story before making an opinion, even if I don't completely agree with one or the other.  So, as i continue my search for others that harbor the same interests as I do, it also allows me to grow intellectually and physically. 

So, even for some of the sites I've found today that have...um, interesting names, more religion than I'm prepared for, or even those that have very similar thoughts as I have.....I can't wait to read through them more.  I can't wait to grow and learn. 

Happy growing and learning!

No comments:

Post a Comment