Sunday, March 31, 2013

"Remember when you believed in magic?"


This little sentence holds so many reflections. Do you remember when you last believed in magic? Do you remember believing in super heros, and the "happily ever afters?" Do you remember a time when you weren't cynical, negative, and uptight? Do you remember believing in fairy tales, magic, and always found something positive in your days?

This seems like a crazy post to me. I haven't believed in "magic" for years. I'm talking so many years ago, I was a child. I gave up on fairy tales and the happily ever afters when my parents divorced. I was 11 years old. Now, I have 2 amazing kids that remind me on a daily basis what magic is all about. Even after becoming a cynical adult, I can look into the faces of my kids and see the magic again. I just see the magic differently than I did as a child.

Tonight, I sat here watching one of those fairy tales with my daughter. I remembered so quickly how much I loved that particular show. It reminded me how even when things aren't what you planned, you can find the magic in every situation if you are willing to look. While I always dreamed of finding my prince charming, having a beautiful life, and "living happily ever after," you never know just how that happily ever after will turn out.

I found myself watching the movie with a more attentive eye than I had ever done. Of course, ever fairy tale has the princess, the prince charming, the villain, and the story comes together at the end with a happily ever after. This particular movie was probably my favorite one, and I have seen the stage performance as well. It's one that I'm sure every little girl and many big girls have watched. The beautiful peasant girl, the overly cocky man hell bent on getting her attention, the "prince charming" from a whole other realm, the battle for the girl, and in the end prince charming wins. This show, however, not only is the girl plain, but also smart, and pretty. She's not a blonde, but instead has beautiful brown hair. She's not showy, but will stand up for herself and her family. The show, Beauty and the Beast.

While I find myself looking into the show more, being older, I can't help but find how much I still love this particular fairy tale. I love that the ego boosted male doesn't get the girl, I love that her devotion to her father is unbreakable, I love that while she is not exceptionally beautiful she is smart and pretty in a classical kind of way. I love that she finds love within a "beast," that even he didn't know existed.

While having been sick for the past few days, I find that Mom's just don't get sick days. But even without the perfect fairy tale life, you can find happiness, beauty, and friendship within so many areas that you can find the magic again. You just have to want it and be willing to look for it.

Over the years, I have learned that having a friendship is all that you need. Friendships are long lasting, trusted, grow in strength, and even sometimes are built from broken relationships. I have also learned that some of the best relationships won't last without a friendship, and most broken relationships happen because of a broken friendship. While I value my friendships, and treat them with as much respect as possible, I'm learning that not everyone thinks that way.

I find that every time I believe in magic, that so many good things are possible....something tries to shake that. I am a highly determined person, and I will always have some faith in "magic," even if I have to make changes to find the magic again. So, as I get ready to retire for the night I will leave you with this: What does magic mean to you? Is magic/fairy tales something that means perfection to you? Does it mean happily ever after without any issues? To me, happily ever after means: You be the person you are, not one you pretend to be. It means you will have struggles, fights, and many issues before you are able to find your happily ever after. It means being determined, and hell bent to make a good life for yourself. It means finding your true friends, and being loyal to them. It means even when life throws you curve balls, you take them in stride, learn from lessons along the way, and even when things aren't perfect...you make the best of it.

To your happily ever after......
~Sal~

No comments:

Post a Comment