Friday, May 10, 2013

It is May, right?! Are we sure?!


"It is May, Right?! Are we sure?!"

I have half jokingly said this for 10 days now. I have normally been in my gardens for a month or more by this point and have vegetables poking through the ground. This year, however, only half of 1 garden has been planted, I still have 2 1/2 gardens to plant. While I am getting really nervous about how late my seeds are getting in the ground, I know that I have a plan b & c to backup in this crazy weather! The original plan was to get everything ready this Fall for raised garden beds. The plan now, raised garden beds this month...otherwise, I won't be able to get into my gardens until next month, at least!

As so many of my FaceBook friends know, we are trying to eliminate some of the to-do projects from our ever growing list. First on the list - a deck. What started as a small functional deck with a ramp, turned into a bigger deck(for the same price), and putting a roof on to be able to use it more. The planning process started over a year ago, for the original deck. We made the trip to the lumber yard, got a trailer load of lumber and came home. The lumber yard is 70 miles away. Within less than 24 hours, the decision was made to enlarge it. So, literally 3 days later, we hauled the entire load of lumber back to the lumber yard with our new plans in hand. We unloaded the original order, and reloaded the new plan lumber...minus a handful of pieces they didn't have. The first trip involved the yard guy dropping a 4x6x14 piece of lumber on my toe and causing it to be purple/black/blue and bled. The second trip....I stayed away and made the yard guy do the work. This project is beginning tomorrow. Digging holes, pouring concrete, squaring it up, and hopefully by the end of Sunday we can at least have the roof and ramp on.

The projects on this months to-do list seem overwhelming sometimes. Since I am limited in the time I can actually devote to projects because of meals, school work, business, and the other wifely duties...it really cuts out some of the time I'd like to spend. May's project list: Deck!, gravel for the driveway, raising garden beds, putting in flower beds, planting the remaining trees, and getting in some bonfires.

I have 30 trees to get plants, a boat load of vegetables, 50 feet of flower beds, lots of grass seed, lots of indoor cleaning and little projects, not to mention the OCD temptation of an organized and functional home. I keep trying to get everything organized only to have 3 people come along behind me and turn it all on its head! For every mess I clean up and every room I get organized; 3 more messes are made and 2 more rooms destroyed! It gets very frustrating from time to time.

Since the weather hasn't given me too many breaks this Spring, my frustration level seems to be on the rise. I usually have my gardens to work in and contain my stress and frustration. Not the case so far! Instead, hubby and I will be building a deck this weekend and I'm certain there will be plenty of temper flairs, not to mention keeping up with the 4 yr. old and meals. Not too many are around when we need them, but expect us to be around when they need us. Others have to work, and then there are some that it's best they don't help.

It's the 10th of May,it's 58 degrees outside and overcast, my house is reading 65 degrees inside and my driveway is a mud pit. We are still using the temporary stairs they sent with the house a year and a half ago on one door...nothing at the back door, it's too muddy to mow, we have started getting invaded with little bitty black ants, my gardens require mud boots, there's no sunshine, and my bottle of Jack is empty. Very thankful there's still coffee!

So, in spite of the frustrations, I'm going to smile. I'm going to take a few hundred deep breaths and remember everything happens for a reason...even if cursing under my breath. Knowing that eventually my project list will dwindle, and be added to, and dwindle again. Knowing that eventually the weather will change, as it always does, and then I will be complaining that it's too hot. Knowing that whenever possible, it's bonfire season.

So, here I go. Trying to remind myself that everything will work out. Trying to keep a somewhat positive attitude and not bite anyone's head off. There's surely something to learn from all of this!?!?!?!?!

Anxiously awaiting S'Mores and wine!
~Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment