Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My curiousity...what are your thoughts?


I know I rarely get comments, but I would be interested in others opinion on this!

I did not grow up in a family where you were handed everything on a silver platter. My family had to work for everything we ever had. We had the necessities, but above that meant getting a job to buy it. I am not a high maintenance person now. I hate shopping, even for groceries! I am not a big fan of jewelery, I don't require 15 pairs of shoes(I actually have 5 prs!), I don't do manicures or pedicures, I get my hair cut twice a year and it's $15 each time. I love garage sales, and old fashioned everything. When we decided to buy a house, I was the one who suggested getting a trailer house or a manufactured home because they were so much cheaper than building one. I am the one who refuses to purchase a new vehicle, opting for a good used one instead. I am the one who will find a million things to make out of older items or scrap...just because we already have these items and it seems senseless to buy something new when you can make something old work. I am the one who stresses over paying off debts so that someday we not be reliant on the banking industry roller coasters. I do not ask for help often, and mostly because when I do ask for help I end up getting all kinds of grief, or it ends up causing me more frustration.

So, here's my dilemma. By being so low maintenance, and not needing anything of any value, does this put me in a position of being taken advantage of? Does this make me an easy target for disrespect? I ask for many reasons, but mainly because I feel like I am taken for granted and the few things I do want become such a hassle to get that I just choose to not do them. Is this wrong? Maybe.

When I became a Mom, my world became focused on my kids. Once in a while it's nice to get out with my husband for a night out, but my entire life revolves around these 2 kids. It was recently that I had an invitation from one of my best friends to go out, girls night. When I mentioned this, I was told I would have to find a sitter. While I will not let my kids stay with just anyone...that means typically there are 2 people I turn to to watch my kids...my mother-in-law or my hubby's grandmother. Both of which I completely trust with my kids. Since his mom has had her share of illness over the last year or so and his grandmother has had some major changes in her life...I don't like to ask too often, for either of them to watch the kids.

Recently, I learned my high school was having an all school reunion. 73 different class reunions, at one time. While I talk to most of the people I went to school with that I want to talk to, there were several people in older classes that were friends and I would get to see. Some I haven't seen since high school. Originally, we agreed we would go and make it a weekend trip to celebrate our anniversary since we didn't even get to go out to supper for it. As time went on, then it became a deal of the trip would depend on when we got done haying and strawing, or if several other things were going on. Since then, a comment was made about not going at all and instead making an overnight trip to a local town instead for a get away. While I have been up in arms over this reunion thing just because my class has neglected to have a decent reunion since we graduated. I really want to go, but I don't want a lot of grief from going. I don't want to hear the lecture about how the reunion was or the money we spent to go.

Is it too much to ask that I get to spend the $350 that it's going to cost to go? I don't plan for trips anymore, to go back to visit family or friends because it's such a hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment