Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Stocking Up

 



I'm going to share some tips and ideas that I have personally used to be prepared for whatever is coming down the road. With inflation, food and fuel costs rising in such a dramatic fashion, I am encouraging anyone and everyone that will listen to stock up, and to stock up now!


Last week, I made a list of things I thought may be necessary in the event of shortages or prices going any higher. This is coming from a decade plus of living this way due to the rural area I live in. Typically, we prepare 6 months out of the year(late Spring, Summer and early Fall) for the remaining 6 months(late Fall, Winter, and early Spring). This is because snow/ice typically means not leaving our farm for days and like everywhere else...you mention a snow storm or storm, and there's a mad dash on the grocery shelves. Here is my brief list:

Food - typically foods that do not have to be cooked to be eaten or food that can be cooked on a fire or grill. Items that have longer shelf lives, soups, pastas, tuna, canned hams, spam, processed cheese, dried beans, peanut butter, jelly, instant dry milk, instant potatoes, rice, condiments(can help nasty boxed foods taste a little better), etc.

Water - bottled and gallon.  If there is a power outage, that could mean no water also and boil orders when it is restored. I try to figure 4 gallons per week, and 2 - 32 pks of bottles per week for my family of 6. This is for cooking and drinking. This is a bare minimum to just survive. Ideally, this needs to be doubled.

Necessities - Medicines, first aid, toilet paper, feminine products, disposable plates/cups/flatware, vet supplies, batteries, propane, fire wood, extra cans of fuel/diesel, and livestock feed. Having a minimum of a 30 day supply, at all times, is good. 


Get to know those in your area that are producers! Locally, you can typically find producers with: meats, eggs, vegetables and fruits. Learn who they are. They will be priceless when the box store shelves are empty. 


I have promoted gardening for as long as I can remember. I promote learning to grow, raise, and preserve those goods. I know not everyone does this. If you can, you should! You can preserve everything from meat, vegetables to fruits. You can freeze several items. You can dehydrate items. However, for this moment...something everyone can and should be focused on, is getting food and needed items on your pantry shelves, immediately!! 


I shared a video from Applachia Homestead, on my social media page, I believe. It is the list that their farm compiled to be prepared. I have shared mine here. I also documented in video and photos, my weekend trip and some of my own stock up items. Dollar General Stores, have a $1 section and dollar specials throughout their stores. Utilize these to get some shelf life foods in your own pantry! Even if you can only squeeze $10-$20 into your budget, go get some items! Work towards building your 30 day supply as quickly as possible. The current prices are rising every single day. It is not going to get any cheaper! 


Just keep in mind, the fuel costs sky rocketing, inflation soaring, and supplies not being shipped from China, are going to play heavily into what is available to all of us. I do not recommend another toilet paper shortage...but I do recommend making sure you and your family can survive and having enough that you can help out those that may not be taking these issues seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment