Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Coffee Chat and Farm News

 




As usual, my coffee chats always entail "more."  This one is no different. September was such a trying month for me, and October has begun, only to bring me to a point of exhaustion again. There is always so much to do on a homestead, as a parent, and in life as a general overview.


Last month, my mother-in-law passed away. This is a lady that has been a pretty strong influence in my life for 24 years. Getting through the shock of a sudden passing, all the plan/prepare work that was not done, and the services themselves was emotionally trying. Especially since I don't deal with them well to start with. That progressed to the guilt of not being able to celebrate my boys 22nd birthday due to the services being held on their actual birthday. Then came the final 2 weeks of the month that had me teaching my girl and running/preparing the final plans for our annual veteran hunt. The month ended with that veteran, and even with some hiccups...it was truly an incredible end to such heart breaking month. October has begun with a flurry of projects that have to be finished before it gets cold and/or starts snowing. Living a "simple" life, by NO means, means living an easy life. It's a hell of a lot of work that results in 24 hours some days, but typically is no less than 14 hour days. 


Let's get started with our annual veteran hunt. This is the 4th year we have hosted/welcomed veterans to our farm for this event. Even with the chaos of September, and the 3 am tornado - just 2 days before the event...I believe this was the best one yet! We had 5 awesome veterans that made this event so much fun. They enjoyed the conversations, fishing and hunting, as well as, the bonfires. Most nights it was midnight to 2 am, before everyone turned in for the night. They decided to fish in the mornings and hunt in the afternoons, which meant I did not have to be up at 3 am, fixing breakfast. That was truly an amazing blessing! Everyone was back at the farm for lunch, then went hunting until dark. Then everyone came back in for the evening meal, bonfires, and the Friday night DJ is always a great addition. We had several donations this year that made the event amazing, and allowed for next year's event and canopy sides. A crocheted afghan was donated and raffled to the veterans. Our oldest veteran won that. One of our planning committee members brought in gift bags for each veteran, and another member brought each veteran and volunteer a loaf of homemade bread. Our partner group, who has been incredible for all 4 years, had t-shirts made to give to each veteran and volunteer. Our farm is putting together photo albums for each veteran and hunter as well...this just takes a little more time since everything has to be ordered. We are excited to have received use of more land, donated for use by the landowners, for next year already. We are also excited and humbled to have a decent list of veterans that want to come back or attend for the 1st time; already compiling. It will be having to come down to a luck of the draw, and keeping the number of attendees at a manageable level for the volunteers we have to work with. It's a remarkable position to be in. When you can see and feel the gratitude and humbleness of the veterans that attend, and you have the chance to hear their stories - aside from being a parent, there is truly nothing more rewarding and humbling for me. 


On to farm news. What a crazy year we have had! What started as a wet year, turned dry rather quickly. Once it started drying out, it turned to drought very quickly. We didn't have excessive heat, even though we had a few weeks, during the summer, that were hot...it was not a normal summer. The hay was baled on time, but then it dried up and we weren't able to get more than a single cutting. That has left us short on hay for the winter. The garden went into a kind of hibernation/stalled production. I was able to get several things canned, but had a heck of time getting things to grow, several seeds didn't germinate, and then September rolled around and all hell broke loose. From September 4th to about the 14th, we had about 6" of rain...much needed. Then a week later, we had the wild experience of a late season EF1 tornado just 2 days before our veteran hunt. We were fortunate to avoid any major damage...just having to do a lot of clean up and reset the giant canopy that had the poles drove a foot to three foot into the ground. So, now that we are in the start of October, we have all the usual September/October preparations to finish, in half the time. The 1st, I started trimming trees around the house. Many of them I hadn't gotten pruned for a couple years, as time ran out and they weren't a huge priority. This year, they had to be done. The trees within the yard fence had grown so much, they were either pushing on the fence or growing through it, and the willows had grown kinda messy with side branches causing it to be really difficult to mow and trim around. The trees outside the fence, needed cleaned up and trimmed in hopes of helping them keep growing too. I just have the orchard trees left, but my arms/hands/back, needed a break. I believe my mowing on Sunday will be the last one for this year. This is always sad for me, I love to mow and enjoy the sun and quiet time it provides. We have started our first year of fall lambing. This really is a trial by fire, to see how they do. So far, we've had one little lamb born with the expectation of many more in the coming weeks. This is also the first year ever, we have had the run in with pink eye in our cows. After some pretty hefty vet expenses, we are hoping to be about done with this experience. With the drought this year, we are having to purchase hay for the first time in about 10 years. Of course, this is the year that everyone else is too. So, you all know how supply & demand work. We also found last year, that it saved some money to purchase logs to burn in our furnace, as opposed to having to find trees to cut, drive around the countryside, and drag the equipment everywhere. So, last year we bought a load of logs that the boys were able to have here, and cut up when needed. Trying to get logs this year had been a challenge, until today. We finally found a load, they will be here tomorrow, and for a bit less than last year. That is a win in my book. During my walk last night, I found a good amount of produce that had grown in my garden since the last time I'd taken time to walk through it. So, today my daughter and I will be working up bell peppers, banana peppers, and jalapeno peppers. I'm hopeful to get them all finished today. I still need to finish working up potatoes, and I found more tomatoes last night too. This weekend, I am pulling plants, putting away cages/panels, for winter. This is always a sad time of the year for me, when it comes to my garden. I have been reminded twice about how much I let go, but being only one person and trying to get through everything I do on a daily basis...I have to just be ok with it. What used to be a family affair of working up all the produce, has become a "me" job. That's ok but I can only do so much...no matter how much I try, there's only 24 hours in a day and as I have gotten older and had a couple of medical issues...it's slowed me down some, as much as I hate to admit it. 


With our annual winter prep, I have followed several stories over the past nearly 4 years. Watching the C-19 mess, the supply chain woes, the inflation and so many recessionary issues pop up...I am preparing a little more than normal this year. It is typical on our farm, to prepare and plan, for winter, for about 6 months. Typically, that means 6 months(November - May), of needed items on hand. This is nothing new for us. Having lived in a rural environment for most of 23 years, this has been at the forefront. We haven't always had livestock to worry about, but the past 11 years we have. This planning includes: water tank warmers, feed, grain, mineral, hay, vet supplies for each breed of animal, straw for bedding, wood for the furnace(or propane when we had propane heat), making sure we have heat lights and that they work, closing in part of the barn for the cold months, putting plastic on the deck and under the deck to block some of the cold coming in the front door, getting the a/c's put up for winter, getting windows cleaned up, checking all the heat vents/inside blower, making sure the small propane bottles are full in case(or if we just want to) cook on the grill/griddle/smoker, putting away bird feeders, making sure to have a minimum of 4 months of food/water/medical supplies/pet foods/necessities on hand(working on 6 months this year), making sure there is extra fuel & diesel on hand for tractors/log splitter, and cleaning up anything in the yard that can be put away to preserve for future use. The list looks pretty small until you really dig into each area or find areas that need fixed/replaced. None of that includes the fall cleaning inside, putting away all the canning supplies for the year, and putting away anything that was used for the spring/summer months that does not need to be out for the rest of the year. 


It's incredible when you dive into the preparation mode. There are things you don't think about, take for granted. Just think about the great toilet paper shortage of 2020. Imagine that mess but in the way of not only toilet paper, but food, bottled water, Tylenol, or even feminine products. Imagine that mess at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I don't like surprises, at least not those kind of surprises! Something that I think few think about when it comes to preparations, is clothing. Around here, having insulated bibs, heavy coats, insulated boots, hats, gloves, scarves, and long underwear are necessities. When you are out everyday, despite the weather, you have to be prepared for staying warm. Animal care is year round, no matter what the weather is....110 in the shade or 50 below with winds howling. The colder the days in the winter, the more often you have to make sure water tanks are not froze over. Sadly, even with tank heaters, sometimes they still freeze. So, having warm clothing, extra gloves are needed. Not to mention, we usually have a round of lambs born in January/February. That adds another aspect of being prepared. We have kept fleece blankets to put on new lambs when the temps are just to cold. This year, preparation has taken on new meaning and new life. I began Christmas shopping in June. I know, that is really early...even for me! However, with the price increases, the supply chain issues...I didn't want to be caught without gifts under the tree for my kids. We have never done big gifts or technological gifts for Christmas. We have always tried to stick with a couple of wants, a few needs and something educational. We have an annual tradition of opening a gift on Christmas Eve, which is usually new PJ's, some hot cocoa mix, their favorite candy and sometimes includes a movie. I have just about finished shopping and hope to complete that task in the next couple of weeks. Typically, the prices increase in November, so they can "lower" them in time for Black Friday shopping. This year, the prices have been on the rise all year. I can tell you, one item I have purchased was $14.99 last year. This year, the exact same item was now $22.99. That may not seem like a lot to some, but if you figure that in over about 10 gifts...the knocks $80 off a budget in a hurry. When you stick to a pretty strict budget, that difference is pretty big. 


Most years, aside from the 2 we were in Southern Missouri, we have an annual Christmas Open House. I spend a week baking, making candies, fudge, homemade breads, cookies, cakes, and soups. We open our home to neighbors, family and friends for an evening of fellowship and friendship to celebrate the season. To me, this is the best gift ever! Everyone gets together to share the season, spend quality time, and there's not a gift included...just sharing life. I worried for a bit, that I might not be able to do this, this year, for many reasons. However, I have decided that I am going to make it happen, one way or another. That seems to make Christmas, even better for me. You see, this open house, isn't about who can spend more money or buy the biggest gifts...it's about spending time and making memories that last a lifetime. It's about the friendships, the kinship, and keeping a forgotten tradition alive. It's not about the materialistic means that Christmas has become. Even though a lot of work goes into the planning, baking, cooking and preparations...it is worth more than gold to me!!


I have a massive list to knock out in the next 27 days, but I'm having to remind myself that I can only squeeze so much into a single day. So, with that being said, I will be diligently working on the list, teaching my daughter and dealing with all the changes that entails, attempting to keep up with laundry, dishes, typical fall cleaning, meals, grocery shopping, paying bills, taking time out to enjoy a bonfire or two, and taking care of myself along the way. I've gotten the reminder loud & clear, about how short life can be, and how quickly that can change. Even on days that I wake up tired and grouchy, I'm grateful for another day. Sometimes, it's easy to take for granted the time and people in our lives; until they are no longer there. Whether that be due to passing or separation, it may just be human spirit or ego, but we need to remember that items are meant to be used, not people. 


Our house is looking to be pretty quiet this winter. My future daughter-in-law, won't be here this winter, and my adopted son has bought a home and moved out as well. It's pretty strange with just 4 of us here again. I am used to my house bursting at the seams with people and it's a big adjustment. I will be making use of having some extra space...won't be a bedroom anymore. It's being turned into my daughter's sewing/art room and my husband's gun/hunting room. Maybe, just maybe, as I get through my list, I will find some organization again. That's the plan anyway! I will close out this month, and if all goes as planned, November 1st will bring out the Christmas decor. I want to enjoy the beauty of Christmas as long as possible! The uptick of baking and winter type meals is already nipping at my heals. 


I will this today with a few thoughts. Take time every morning, to count your blessings, say a prayer and appreciate those love. Don't assume anything. Don't take people for granted - cherish those that you love. We are all human, and have days that just suck! Don't let those bad days overshadow your blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment