Friday, June 16, 2023

Ruled by taboos

 


What is a taboo? From the American Heritage Dictionary, 5th edition:

noun

  1. A ban or inhibition resulting from social custom or emotional aversion.
  2. A prohibition, especially in Polynesia and other South Pacific islands, excluding something from use, approach, or mention because of its sacred and inviolable nature.
  3. An object, word, or act protected by such a prohibition.

I grew up understanding a taboo as something you didn't talk about, let alone be a part of. As a child, it was knowing better than than injecting my opinion into "adult" conversations, It was not speaking of politics, religion, sexual anything, clear down to commenting about someone's weight, clothing, disability, etc. In the very generalized sense, you kept your opinions to to yourself. 

 

That is very much NOT how society works today. Now, everyone has opinions and they voice them for the world hear. Now, I am not going to get into whether this is right or wrong...I'm pretty certain most know where I stand on this. I do believe believe everyone has the Constitutional right to voice their opinion, but many are quick to shoot down anyone else's right to the same, if they disagree. On this, what's good for the goose, is good for the gander. 

 

Since the founding of our Constitutional Republic and prior in actuality, we have been ruled by taboos. Just think back:  Witch trials, the thought of Native Americans being "uncivilized," the model in which women/slaves(of all color and creeds)/children were property, gambling, sexual activities(both straight and gay), alcohol, drugs, tattoos and piercings, and the lists can go on! ALL of these things have been taboo subjects at some stage. So, who set any or all of things into taboo subjects? Typically speaking, it was religions, of all backgrounds - Christianity(including all off shoots; Catholic, Lutheran, Etc.), Muslim, Buddhism, Jewish, Mennonite, Amish. The religious sects set the stage. Now, if I remember my teachings correctly, Jesus walked amongst the sinners...not the saints. He walked with the alcoholics, the adulters, the abusers. He chose those with the shadiest backgrounds to lead other sinners to become righteous in the eyes of God.  I get the irony of this with the direction the churches are pushing. Anyway, for me, the fact of the manner...with a Bible that has been rewritten multiple times over the years, big sections of the Bible completely removed from some of the earliest civilizations "Bible," I am torn on religion altogether, NOT the existence of God.


As I said, taboos have ruled our behaviors for centuries. What one belief system believes versus another may change drastically. A great example is the Mennonite and Amish communities. Neither believe individuality or having anything worldly in the forms of cutting their hair, jewelry, or styles of clothing. They don't believe in gossip. However, their differences in how they interpret their religious beliefs are executed in a big way. Amish push the worldly items to include not using electricity, automobiles, or technology. While the largest majority of Mennonites use all of those things with limits...vehicles for their family must be black, the attend their religious services as a family on Sundays, and they do not work or have businesses open on Sunday's or religious holidays. Now, from my view point, the elder generation of Mennonites had a lot of positive accolades. When a woman in their community had a child, the other women would step in for several weeks to help out. They would help care for other children, cook, clean, etc. This would allow the new mom, time to bond and get the new baby into a pattern. When someone from their community would get ill, the others would step up to help. The elders still raise gardens and preserve foods...many of the younger generations do not. 


So, this kind of leads into an area that I am constantly concerned about. Family. I have seen how many family disputes have taken place when a loved one passes, or there are serious issues within a family unit. Now, before I go any further...I am not diving into all the modern areas of parenting, just what I know. I will ALWAYS champion for children. The kids are the ones who always suffer from parental neglect, or they thrive from a healthy parental guidance. Today, it seems that stating the opinion that children need BOTH their parents involved in their lives, is disputed and even argued. This has really appeared since the acceptance and normalization of divorce. A lack of healthy relationships within the adults, trickles down to the children...in both good and bad ways. Many people that have chosen to break away from their relationships, for whatever reason, have found ways to co-parent. Meaning, even though they may not be able to get along as a couple, they find a way to work together for the best interest of their child. I truly commend this, and pray this becomes a more normal way to handle a broken relationship. This does require the parents to be mature enough to agree to disagree with each others role in each others lives...but allows the child/children to be secure in knowing without any doubt that the child/children are loved and not the blame or pawn in the adults game. Taking this mature step, will help more children become more well rounded and will cut out acting out, as a means of getting attention - even if it means bad attention. 


For generations now, the family unit has been under fire. With the normalization of divorce, or one parent leaving; it has effected children for 40 plus years. Now, obviously, there are exceptions, BUT generally speaking, children have been used as pawns in adult games for a long time. This has helped to create a lot of the mental issues we face today. Yet another taboo. Mental illness is a very general, umbrella term. If you look into medical books from 80 years ago...90+% of all people today, would be considered to have some sort of mental illness. I have seen a lot of people that blame their crappy circumstances on their parents, words that have been spoken, and a number of other events in life. My personal theory is this: either use your circumstances as a crutch to never better yourself or use them as the foundation to build yourself better than those circumstances. It's kind of the same as tell me I can't do something, and I'm going to do it...and probably twice, while taking pictures!  


Another taboo that has had both good and bad extremism. The female/male role. There were a long of incredible women that worked hard to give women the freedom we have today. It allowed us to vote, not be considered property, to have jobs, to drive, etc. Women had finally broken a barrier into sports, where they had their own arena to compete in. The bad, now that has been muddied. Now, you can't even determine the DNA to decipher gender because that is one of the newest taboos. Now, you can pretend whatever you want. Whatever, to each their own. The problem I have here, there will NEVER be a biological man in a restroom that I take my daughter in. I will also NEVER play this pathetic game of pronouns. Speaking of yourself in that 3rd party manner is a true psychological medical disorder, and until the past 30 years would get you locked into a mental health facility. Anyway, women not that many decades ago, worked tirelessly to earn a place, as an equal citizen, and it's being wiped away. I am all for being an independent woman, a working/career women, being capable of doing anything and everything on your own...should you choose to. However, as with so many other areas, it has been hijacked and abused. As a woman, I can tell you - from my own view point, and I know this hits on some Biblical perspective. If you go off the Adam & Eve theory, man was created first. Woman was created from the rib of man - not the foot to be walked on, not his head to be superior; but from his side, to be equal. 

 

I know this next view will rile a few more. Men, by design were meant to be strong and be able to defend. Men today, are not men. A majority today are weak. They could not be providers, they have no backbone, and they can not be a partner to a strong woman. Men were meant to alpha, not heathens...but capable of protecting their loved ones. Women, sadly, have forgotten their own value. There are so many things women can do that men can not. The entire point here is that we should partners. I refuse to believe that a man, wearing skinny jeans could defend me if something bad would happen. Now, you find a the biggest biker in the crowd, and they know it is all about. Women don't need to be taken care of because they are incapable; they need to be taken care of because you value them. I personally can shoot an invader, I can fight off an attacker, but I rock an apron and cook one hell of meal, while balancing a baby in my arms. I don't need someone to protect me, take care of me, or provide for me...I am capable of all it myself, that does not mean I don't want my husband right there to handle it, because he values me...not thinks I'm incapable. I think many relationships have gotten this all wrong. I know generations ago, this was not same thought process. Husbands owned their wives, they were meant to be bare foot and pregnant, and seen - not heard. That is messed up!! Women & Men alike have had their brains rattled loose by whatever propaganda they've been fed. In any area I go, I look for the real Men...the bikers, the cowboys, the alphas. The pretty boys do not do a thing for me. 

 

The entire point of this blog, is how taboos have ruled us. Think about it! Stop buying into all the divisions, and whatever new fad comes along. Be a stand up person. Be proud of who you are. You can not pretend and actually stand for anything. Be real. You don't like your circumstances, only you can change them. I know in my eyes, I really don't care what life style you choose to live. Do not push it on me, do not push it on my children. If you are a good person, I will be good to you. It does not matter your lifestyle, you skin color, your nationality; none of that matters...YOUR OWN CHARACTER DOES!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment