Friday, October 13, 2023

Coffee Break

 

Coffee Break Conversation



It's a beautiful Fall, rainy and cool morning! We have spent the better part of Spring, Summer and early Fall in a serious drought here. I am welcoming the sounds of rain! While the winds have ripped up most of my plastic on my deck, that is on next week's agenda, it finally feels like Fall. Now the fun begins...being sarcastic here. 


I am not a fan of October. For years, I understood the lure of Halloween, getting to dress up and pretend for a night, the kids getting candy, and for those that like to be scared...the haunted houses. Now, I find it appalling. Evil people have turned the fun into more evil. Kids have to worry about candy laced with sharp items or drugs. There are a lot of children that go missing on that particular night. We are now expected to pretend daily with all the B.S. of people believing themselves to be something they are not. The luster of all of it flew right out the window for me! For several years, the only reason I look forward to that day is because it had been the day I start putting up Christmas decorations, to counter act the evil. I hate being scared. I refuse to watch horror movies or go to a haunted house. I have relented this year to dressing up and handing out candy in our local town's trunk or treat time. I am not a "pumpkin spice" person, I prefer Apple Spice, even though I love pumpkin pie...that is a Thanksgiving only thing for me. This year has already proven to me, it's going to be a big struggle to get into the Christmas swing. 


November and December have been my favorite months for as long as I can remember. It's typically a time when we have a lot of family gatherings, it's decorations are truly beautiful, and Christmas has always been my favorite holiday. I get a lot of static every year, for my countdowns, and take them in stride. This year, I just am not feeling it. I've tried to start planning our usual gatherings, but my heart is just not in it. I can't bring myself to do much on countdowns, my schedule is already overwhelming me. Adding in 2 weeks of decorating, having to shop - since I have done ZERO to this point, my kids are older now so that is adding to the mix, my boys - one married and one living on his own - have their own lives and my baby is just not as into Christmas as she is to Halloween. We don't see many little people anymore, and really they are so much fun with the excitement of Christmas. It has been an annual battle for years to get my decorations out of storage, get them put up, and the amount of flack I get every year has kind of broke my excitement. I'm hopeful this changes soon. 


We have a local Fall festival here this weekend. I participate every year, 6 years now. I look forward to it. The festival highlights the fall foliage in a series of little villages(towns) in Southern Iowa. There is several miles of trees that show the beauty of Fall, and each of the villages showcase their uniqueness. I love each of these villages. I spend most of my time between 4 of them. I do 98% of my shopping, business, veteran coffees, and this festival between the 4. The village I will be in this weekend has the greatest little restaurant, that was once a grist mill. So many of the little villages, not just in Southern Iowa, but nationwide, are disappearing. People leave these little towns for many reasons, from money to their need for convenience. The one thing about small towns/villages, they are so friendly and welcoming. While this can also be a problem when people transplant their and have ill-will, it is an attribute that I personally love. Yep, the streets roll up at 5, and everything is closed on Sunday...but I don't see a problem with that!I prefer rural living, when you still know your neighbors by name, your children are relatively safe and everyone looks out for each other and their children, and for the most part - family values are still in place. Most of these small communities, your word is still your bond, and something you can still take to the bank as having meaning. 


As I get my butt moving today, I am so grateful for the amazing people in my life. Taking the time to count our blessings, is sometimes difficult. We get barraged with negativity from many different angles. So, I am taking a little extra time today, to count mine. I truly am rich in the things that matter. I have a beautiful, healthy family. A wonderful home to provide us shelter. I have enough food to keep us nourished. We have the most amazing friends, who show up when we need them and are always supportive. Through every blessing AND every lesson, we know that our biggest supporter is always God. With his support, we can do all through and with him. Take some time today to count your blessings, and then go out and be a blessing to someone else...not a lesson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment