Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Winter Storm #2 Updates

 


Here we are basically half way through January, with the total precipitation in a 7 day span, what is normal for all of December AND January! We have 24" on the ground. The snow makes things treacherous, but the extreme Arctic cold is making it so much worse. We have had some pretty major "natural disasters" already this year. The first being 27 hours without power. Now, we have 2 foot of snow, -40 degree windchills, and the start of lambing season on our farm. So, let's do a little break down.


I have preached for years about preparedness. I can say without a doubt, we were as prepared as possible. Some things you can never fully prepare for; although having some new disasters has given me a fresh outlook for not only continued preparedness but things to improve. Until you have been forced into a situation, you don't fully recognize what you will need, let a lone how much you will go through. We have rarely experienced extended power outages, or this bitter cold; so we only had limited knowledge of the extent of chaos it would all bring. Not to mention, me getting sick thrown into the mix. I have seen how ill-prepared my family is to manage much when I am physically clear down. My husband could make everything work...with a lot of "hurt" feelings. The kids, could survive, but having to decide on meals, how to plan a meal in enough time to thaw meat without a microwave, and managing boredom without technology...that was fun. They did eventually play cards and board games by candle light. It's been difficult for me to want to try to encourage others to prepare, when my own household fights me at every turn..."that will never happen, or that won't happen here," Guess what? IT DID!!! I can hope maybe now they will listen.


Even though the power outage and illness has been a nice break from technology, it has really driven me to want to encourage even more, get back to the basics of homestead life, food preservation, gardening and cooking. I will be keeping up with the economy, politics, and the dumpster fire we are seeing in the world. Whether we want to admit it or not, it ALL effects each of us daily. It doesn't matter if you have a farm, a condo, an apartment or live in town. The policies, the taxes, the legislation, and the people we elect that are supposed to be serving as our voices in government are essential. So, I will definitely be continuing on my path there, as well as continuous research of the corruption in the life long politicians and agencies. 


With the winter weather already this year, it has shown us how many repairs and updates we really need around the farm. We have and are managing, but there is definitely areas that need improving....areas that we have discussed for a few years but have put off due to the excessive price of everything. We work and sacrifice a LOT to not live in extreme debt. We have been working hard the past handful of years of get everything paid off. The pandemic hit us hard for about 6 months, and we are still recovering from that mess. While we will have several debts paid off this year...assuming nothing else comes up, it appears that the progress made with that, will be negated with repairs, maintenance and improvements. As we were talking this morning, it was a moment for me, of reluctant realization. We have a lot of blood, sweat, tears and finances wrapped up in our farm, and protecting our investments means investing to ensure we can continue. I'm not sure yet, what direction or how far we need to go, and probably won't until late spring...but changes will begin happening this year. 


As I said earlier, I will be getting back to some basics of this blog and videos. I really feel like more people could benefit from learning basic skills like cooking, baking, gardening, and food preservation. Additionally, learning to be more prepared in a general sense, like meal planning, purchasing groceries for more than a few days at a time, and less of those crazy "like hacks" shown by social media that are a disaster just waiting to happen. I've learned that a lot of things, tools and plans that are common knowledge to me, are not for many others. So, I may even try to convince my dear cousin and kindred spirit to team up to compare notes in the future. I know she and I have plenty of conversations, and have agreed to disagree on a few things, but living on opposite ends of the same state, means traditionally different weather too. 


On the subject of weather, let me touch on this before I finish this blog. Here at our farm, the snow storms that dropped 24" on us, was completely different results from the town just 20 minutes from us. Before the motor graters found us, we snow drifts across our lettered highway 6+' tall. We drifts around our vehicles and our house just as high. Getting just an eighth of mile down the road to check, feed and water the cows meant the guys having to literally walk to get there. The tractors struggled to get through the drifts. As quickly as the roads were plowed, they were snowed under again. Out here in our rural hide away, it's DAYS and has been as much as a WEEK before we see plows. We know to be stay prepared. Anyway, when some areas close have only had 12-15" of snow, they don't realize how the different the weather is, just 20 minutes away. Because we are so far out, and truly at the end of the state line...many times we are forgotten. It does not matter if it's snow, ice, or flooding...which will become the next disaster when all this damned snow starts melting next week. 


I'm going to wrap this up and hopefully feel well enough to do some housework today. 4 days of feeling like crap has shown that no one is going magically help keep the house picked up. Everyone please stay safe, warm and prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment