Monday, January 28, 2013

Frugal? Cheap? Either way, it is what it is!


After many years of struggling to to explain that everything new, isn't necessarily better; I think it has sunk in! Amazingly, it wasn't me that struggled with this idea. I have spent the last several years placing more value on used/second-hand items than buying the new styles.

Last night, I heard the most wonderful words, I think I have ever heard. My husband, who is more "new" leaning, made the statement,"I think before we get to far into our remodel plans, I think we need to look for used stuff and see if we can't find the stuff you are wanting and needing a little cheaper." This was music to my ears! I do not like most of the new styles or designs that are out. All the designs I fall in love with are: antique, country or rustic. This being said, I was so excited when we were discussing the different remodel projects we need to do and he said I could start gathering used products.

I redesigned my kitchen layout to make it more user friendly and it's going to not only increase the cabinet/counter space but also all for more room in my kitchen and open up the floor plan. The master bath plans eliminate all the angled walls, give us a bigger shower, a bigger closet, and still keeps it open. The rest of the house is minor upgrades, adding some built in shelving and new flooring. None of it amounts to much, financially but, it does add up when there is so much upgrading that needs to be done.

Needless to say, when the more detailed remodels come in, I will be calling my brother to come help out. Enlarging doors, putting in normal size windows, that sort of thing is outside my realm of knowledge! Fortunately, I have several family members with contractor skills!

Designing the landscape has been another challenge. With living so far out, it has good and bad points. It's wonderful to not be on top of neighbors, not have a ton of traffic, and its absolute beauty is astounding. The bad? It costs a fortune to have anything delivered, it's a long trip for running errands, and living in rural areas doesn't give the freedom of Sunday shopping without a long drive. So, back to the landscape.... Initially, we had differing opinions about how to lay everything out. Now, I believe my outlook may be taking hold.

A circular drive with a large flag and flowers, fencing with gate opening and wagon wheels surrounded with flowers, a fenced orchard with an arbor entry, a wild flower garden fenced with arbor entry, no-till gardening, a drive to the gravel road for easier access, a courtyard and deck on the front of the house, a rock patio on the west side, beautiful trees placed strategically placed for shade and beauty, and a streamed timber area beautified for enjoyment, pictures, and a future building area.

I believe I can do so much of the plans with very little money, done to my perfection, improving the value of our home/land, and do more to live further off-the-grid. Living fences, soil replenishing planting, organic living, and making less of a foot print on this great planet are just a few of my long term plans. Eventually getting a well dug, having alternate energy sources and less need for the costly a/c and furnace. There is so much we can do to be self-sufficient, and save money. If only I could get more people to follow our lead! ;)

This year, keep an eye on this blog and on our web site to see pictures of my projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment