Sunday, November 20, 2022

November 20 - On my mind


 

 

November 20, 2022. Sunday morning before Thanksgiving. Let the fun begin. 

 

I always have a laundry list of things to get done. I keep several calendars and planners to keep up this life. Some days I am able to cross off everything, some days only a single thing. I get frustrated when I don't get everything done, but I'm also learning that things happen or come up, that you have to take on - in the moment. It's not easy on me, as I push myself hard to always be and do my best. Once in a while I have those moments, when I get to actually talk through thoughts or get an inspired feeling from above...and that allows me to see so many things, so much clearer. 

 

A dinner date with extended family Friday evening, get me a little time to talk through thoughts with my most trusted level headed  "Friend and family member." There were several moments that were "ah ha" moments. Yesterday, included a trip to get last minute groceries. It also included talking myself out of an anxiety attack, without making a scene. So, while there are days that I get down, frustrated, angry, extremely hard on myself, or even condescending...I have learned a lot that has allowed me to not be stuck in dark place or remain there. 


The turkey is in the fridge to thaw for Thursday. I was able to get the remaining items, although substantially higher in price. I was able to make it through the store, that was literally elbow to asshole, through the entire thing. I didn't call anyone out for their rude behaviors, being run into with a cart, or having isles blocked while people stood in the way. As I said earlier, I was able to talk down my anxiety in that chaos without having a melt down. While none of this may seem significant to others, this is huge for me. I do not handle chaotic situations well, most of the time. Anyway, with the increase in food prices being so noticeable, a lot of things will be made from scratch this week. My girl and I will get homemade noodles made, home made dinner rolls, homemade pumpkin pies, homemade pecan pie, sweet potatoes will be made from the potatoes I grew, and deviled eggs that my chickens lay. Our meal will be mostly a traditional style, although not my favorite fried turkey, we will still have turkey. Fortunately, my boys had bought a massive turkey last year, that was too big for the fryer, so we put it in the freezer. Thankfully, we did! I will make regular dressing, and oyster dressing, mashed potatoes, noodles, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, deviled eggs, dinner rolls, pumpkin pie, and pecan pie. We will have some early appetizers of stuffed mushrooms and bacon wrapped water chestnuts. While I will not have a house full this year, there will be those that we are closest to, mostly. 


Once Thanksgiving day is done, and we recover from eating too much...then the shift begins to baking and planning final details for our Christmas Open House. My girl and I will be spending a lot of time in the kitchen over the coming days and weeks. As with garden season, baking season takes on a life of its own. I love it, and hope to pass on the joy to my own kids. Cookies, breads, cakes, and candies will litter every available surface. You see, I push so hard to get decorating and cleaning done because once I start baking, there is little time for anything else. I love to try new recipes, I have beloved favorites, and some that have been passed down through the generations. I have learned that the easiest of recipes...I usually mess up, royally! I'm able to work with yeast but can't make a no bake cookie to save my butt! So, I leave that to my husband, who whips them out spectacularly every time. I have struggled to learn how to teach young people bake...not so much how to follow a recipe, but having people in the kitchen while I bake. I have done so much, alone, that it's different to have eyes watching every move! 


This year, things seem to be such a struggle. Between the increasing costs, the limited availability, and the strong emotional side of things...it's been a true challenge for me. I am trying to work through this because it is my favorite time of the year. I may have a few struggles, but I am determined to make the best of this season, keep many of our traditions going and honor our loved ones that are no longer on the Earth with us. 


This is a different kind of blog, but it weighed on my thoughts this morning, and this was my outlet. Have a blessed Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment