Friday, November 25, 2022

The significance - pictures

 



Photos, the gift that gives even once you have left this earth.



I have always loved taking pictures. I don't ever get rid of pictures either. In my eyes, even if there are people in those pictures you are no longer associate with, that was a part of your life. I love looking through my old pictures. They bring back good and bad memories, but those pieces are all part of who we are today. 


A couple months ago, having pictures proved again, how important they are. I was thrown into an emotional project of gathering photos for my Mother-In-Law's funeral service. She and I would laugh about all the pictures we would take, but we were rarely in front of the camera. A few years back, we made the agreement to get her and I more in front of the camera. I can not tell you how glad I am that happened. Eventually, we were able to sort through a lot of pictures, but it really hit me. 


We take pictures of so many things, if you are like I am, I have tons of unprinted photos. I personally take on the battle of getting my family to take pictures every 2-3 years...beyond that is a chore. I take pictures of about everything else, but I am always BEHIND the camera. So, there are not as many of me either. However, the photos are never about the "professionalism" or even everyone being on their best behavior. So many times, those candid photos...the ones when your family is being goofy, pictures that show the chaos, and just random life happenings are just as amazing. 


Two months ago, I decided to make some pretty massive changes to my photo wall. I always put my own family first and fore most in everything, but I want to expand my pictures...which means moving the photos to a bigger wall. I am going to be repainting once all the Christmas decorations come down, and then one of my living room walls will be devoted to pictures - my family, my extended family, our dearest friends and loved ones. Our extended families are rather large, since both our parents are divorced, that added in bonus parents, bonus siblings, bonus nieces & nephews, and cousins that have also expanded their families. It is very important to me to have a picture journal of our loved ones. 


So, that is my request this year, what I want for Christmas. I want photos of our loved ones and their families. I want to add the pictures to my wall and be able to see your faces even if we can't be together is person. I want to be able to share memories with my kids of extended family, of years long past or even some that weren't so long ago. When I have the honor of becoming a grandparent, I want my grandkids to grow up knowing how important family and photos are. 



No comments:

Post a Comment