Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Let the Home-Educating begin!

As of Wednesday, May 5...we began home school. After some bullying issues by another child, and lack of acceptable action by our school...We began early.

So, as terrifyingly real as it's become....I have stepped up to teach Joey. I spent Thursday and Friday trying to get a grasp on where Joey was at intellectually. We found that we have to start at the beginning of homeschool curriculum, and work forward. There are several areas that Joey hasn't learned in school, but there are areas that had. So, we are working on so many different subjects to make up for the end of his 3rd grade year. We have it figured that he had 120 hours of public school left. The 8 hour days at school included lunch and recesses, but we are using all the hours towards his education. We are spending weekdays studying: Math, Spelling, Reading Comprehension, Grammar, Spanish, Latin, Missouri History, American History, Social Studies, Science, Bible study, Handwriting, and Vocabulary. As a different approach to some subjects we are working on some hands-on real life study. Joey has helped read and measure the recipes for cookies, and cake, he has helped his Dad measure, build and finish my clothesline, and we are doing some computer games. On weekends, Joey has 2 hours per day of reading time, 30 minutes of Science(nature study), and at least an hour of "handicrafts"; which amount to a learning of a trade. So, we are able to school 7 days a week and he has fun and doesn't realize that he is learning.

The foreign language part is proving to be a challenge but we are working with what we have. I am realizing that I will have to purchase a foreign language program real soon. Otherwise, we are doing good. I am learning that a lot has changed since I was in school. Terms have changed but the way that you go about doing the problems are the same.

As soon as the weather cooperates, we are going to be taking a lot of nature walks, and a few field trips. I am really enjoying the time with Joey. I know that we are accomplishing a alot and he is excelling, already with a change of atmosphere.

Life in general is crazy as always. We have adjusted schedules, and are learning new schedules.
I hope that we will keep up with the pace we are at. I feel lost at times and unsure of my ability, but at the same time, I know that I can teach both our kids so much and give them a jump on real life.

Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment