Wednesday, January 2, 2019

New year, new me...NAH!




Happy New Year!!!


As you guessed, I'm not changing much, ever! The thing is, I'm working on me. I am working towards being a better version of me, all the time. If you have read even a few of my prior blog posts, you know I have struggled with several areas of life for the past several years. There have been a lot of changes for me. The hardest part is always limiting what I say to avoid causing any more grief than I already deal with.

Here's the thing: I refuse to make resolutions. I won't stick to them, and usually within a month, I don't even remember what they are. So, this year, I have set goals to move me in the direction I want to go. No more winging it, or just going with the flow. That has never set well for me. When I see a problem, I want to fix it...not whine and complain about it. I am going to make the absolute best possible year in 2019. That may mean leaving people and/or things out of consideration. I wasn't able to get life in order once we moved back to our farm before all hell broke loose, so that is a high priority for me. I still have boxes that haven't been unpacked because life got away from me! There's been too long of a period of me keeping quiet to avoid arguments, avoid having people upset with me, and honestly...I became a door mat. No more!

When life moves at the speed of technology, there is so much that is missed. We all get too wrapped up in being connected 24/7, but forget that real connections are made from looking up from our phones. We have phones in hand during meals, during special events, and even during time that should be spent with family/friends. We are constantly connected. It's time to unplug once in a while. It's time to make time to have some fun that isn't full of technology. It's time to do something, I've never done. What that is...I'm not certain yet.

My general goals for 2019: Get Organized, Unclutter and finish unpacking, Make time for fun, Learn to say NO...and mean it!, Work on me and take time for me as needed, Spend more time unplugged, Manage finances better, Do at least one new thing this year, Learn to speak up.

While these are general, my details are already written in, and I may add to this as I complete my goals. We all know, if all we had to focus on was goals, they'd be a lot easier to achieve, but life loves to throw us a few curve balls. So, as life goes, I will continue in my responsibilities as I always do, but I may have to put a limit on my time working so I can make time for other important areas: gardening, photography, and FUN!

2019 is shaping up to be a busy year. Since the foundation is in full swing planning and fundraising mode for our Valetines for Veterans Concert in February and hopefully, our annual Paddlefest in May; there's a lot that goes into making these things happen. Our little homestead is buzzing with constant action - cows, calves, chickens, dogs, puppies, and the list goes on. As I made mention January 1st, on my Facebook page, there will be a lot of changes this year and I hope you all will go along on this journey with me. This blog will be seeing a lot of attention, as will my personal Facebook page.

As homesteading goes, there's always something that needs done. This year, we are looking at a list like this: new gravel for the drive, new fencing to repair damaged or missing fence, new chicken coop since the current one is falling apart, getting automatic waterers to help ease some of the daily chores, getting hog fencing to raise a few for butchering, making paddock fencing changes, building the rest of the deck on the front of the house, fixing our ramp on the deck, getting a concrete walkway built, and the most expensive part...replacing our old, non working hay equipment. We really need to build another shed...one that is actually enclosed, and could be used for vehicle/tractor repairs, storing tools, etc.

As is typical for this time of year, it's also garden planning time. Since I already know that I will be adding a pumpkin patch, and possibly another garden in addition to the other 2 gardens already in place. I'd love to add more fruit to the mix this year, but we'll see. I love my gardens, the peace of mind they bring and the most important thing is the produce they yield. Of course, there is a ton of work that goes into maintaining them...but it's a small price to pay when you are reaping those fresh jars of vegetables and fruits in the middle of winter.

We have roughly 3 months before the frenzy of planting begins, not only with our gardens but also with those who plant the fields. Once planting begins with the row croppers...my husband's schedule changes, and that brings changes around our homestead. My son, who is now 18, is working part time, doing his last semester of high school and is taking on his new adventure with college. He decided to begin that journey while still in high school and that has made some changes around here too. My youngest, while technically in 4th grade now, is doing school work equivalent to 6-8 grades in most subjects. So, life on our homestead is always busy, always some type of adventure, and trying to keep everything straight ends up looking a 3-ring circus of some form of organized chaos!

My own adventures have been pretty minimal, but we'll see where 2019 leads. I've let so much slip being overwhelmed, allowing too many things take up residency in my head that should not be there, and not being able to say NO and stick to it! I'm very anxious for the road(s) ahead of me. There is always dips and dives, loops and bumps; I'm excited to see where the Universe takes me this year. I hope you all will follow along, and maybe you'll even get a few laughs in our chaos.

Happy New Year to each of you!!! I hope you will have a healthy, safe, productive, enlightening, and prosperous new year!!
Salli

No comments:

Post a Comment