Monday, June 13, 2022

Coffee Chat

 


 

 I had planned to have a video coffee chat, in the garden...it's just too humid and hot to sit out there too long. So, I will type instead. After watching a video this morning, I think we all need a little reality check. So, here is mine.


I spent a lot of time outdoors this weekend. I end up bouncing from project to project, especially as someone says "Mom, come look at this, or Honey, what do you think." I worked to get the yard mowed down again, since I am trying to not mow as often to save a little gas usage, it gets kinda gnarly. I have weeds in my garden. I pulled some but the ground is just too muddy and it's a mess to work out there much. I did get my tomatoes that didn't have cages, staked up with some red-neck ingenuity. It will work for now. I fixed supper, made a couple sandwiches for lunch, took care of my critters, and transplanted a few more plants. I walked the garden and realized how many seeds didn't come up, and how much I will be having to replant for my fall gardens. I made a comment about building a lasagna garden to my husband, to get a look of disgust and a few negative comments about how it would work. I listened to 2 of my boys bickering at/about each other, while thinking how much everyone is half-assing around here lately. I have battled with whatever this illness is for almost 2 weeks, more than likely because I bust ass all day everyday, and don't take the time to just rest. When you are the one that "handles" everything...you don't get rest. So, by 8 or so...I am ready for bed! 


One thing that was pointed out in the video this morning, was the misconception of social media posts. For those that are able to have it all figured out, I give you a pat on the back and congratulations but I am not one of them! My house is a mess, I do dishes as I need to...although after every meal is preferred, laundry is done every few days and typically sits folded until I start throwing a fit, everyone wants to know what's for supper everyday - yet no one offers to take the meat out of the freezer or help make sure it's cooked/table gets set. I struggle through each week of meal planning, since the same crap gets old and there are too many picky people in my house to just throw together a casserole. Most of the time, unless I lose my cool, I'm sitting here and not talking to anyone. Everyone gets wrapped up in their electronics, the noise box or they disappear to their rooms. So, I guess the good part of that is it gives me more time to research, plan or organize. So, when I share information with everyone, just know it's as much a reminder to myself as to everyone else. 


None of us have lived in the times we are currently facing. None of us can be 100% self-sufficient anymore...but we can sure do our best to be as much so, as possible. Comparing your situation to anyone else is stupid. This is as much a reminder for me, as anyone! I can talk to, see, and even watch videos of what others are doing...but they aren't me, and I'm not them. We spend 6 months every year planning for the next 6 months...and have for over a decade. Right now, there's more thrown in because of the chaos of the world. Some of those videos I watch, I share with hopes not only that my own family will watch...but others will also. The main one I can relate to is Patara at Applachia's Homestead. She has much of the same personality and thoughts as I do. I can't force anyone to watch or even prepare their homes...if it was up to my family, we probably wouldn't even be half as prepared as we are. 


This weekend, I struggled with being really concerned over the unknowing of what's coming down the pike. I've kind of reached a burn-out stage. I'm personally overwhelmed and not feeling the backup I thought I would feel. I know this will pass...I'm not one to stay down long. However, seeing the feet dragging and lack of concern; just hit me. I don't know who reads these blogs, and I'm pretty sure who doesn't...but just know, we all get to these points. None of us are perfect, and while we may share the "beautiful/pretty" parts of our lives, there are the ones that are not-so-much-so. 


As I have said in other blogs, you have got to know who is in your boat with you. You can't have someone drilling holes in that boat, while you are doing all you can to get the water out. You need to build a network of people with like minds, with skills/trades you can bounce off each other, you need local but also national and international "friends." That way, when you hit a brick wall, or you are running on fumes...you have someone to vent your frustrations but will also kick you in the butt to get up and go again. 


I have spent the better part of 20 years, as a stay-at- home-mom. No one comes home and wants to know how your day was, no one wants to know what you learned that day. You will hear all about that outside job, the local gossip in those work places, or something of that sort. All of that is white noise. We seem to be moving into a different time, a different world. The negativity seems to be growing, the insults and divisions seem to be expanding. I know it's hard, believe me, to fend off negativity. It can get the better of you some days. Just stay diligent in your efforts, and know I am cheering you on! 


I will end for today. Stay strong, keep stocking up, find your connection to your God, and pray for all you are worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment