Friday, April 16, 2010

Emotional Nonsense

Wow, it amazes me at how much I appreciate more and more as I get older. Yesterday, we decided to get groceries so that Richard can work on the race car tonight.

As we are driving to Keokuk, I am noticing so much. The trees in full bloom, the tulips that have awoke from their Winter slumber, the tractors working the soil...oh, the beautiful black dirt! I am loving looking at the freshly planted fields, and seeing out cutting their lawns. It's so simple, but also so amazing. Each year we go through the seasons, some we love and some we don't. After such a long, snowy Winter....everything, including people, are coming back to life. I know we complain when it's too cold, or icy, or snowing, but for many of us...Christmas isn't the same without snow. In the Spring, everything begins coming back to life. We are able to get outdoors and blow off some of the mustiness of Winter. We have storms, but how can life continue to bloom without them? Then comes my least favorite season....Summer. It is hot, humid, and the electric bills go sky high with the air conditioning. But, that being said....I wouldn't get to have my beautiful garden with out the heat and humidity to help fuel the growth. We get to have wonderful bonfires with friends and family, enjoy some good "old-fashioned," fun. Then come Fall. All the tractors go out again, to harvest what they hope will be a bountiful crop, I get to "harvest" my wonderful garden, and know that I will have fresh food throughout the Winter, more bonfires with cooler temps, and watching nature prepare for the coming Winter. And of course, my favorite season of all....Winter! Yes, I know, I am nuts! I hate driving in snow and ice...but my 2 favorite holidays are in Winter. Thanksgiving, and Christmas! I love decorating with lights, garland, putting up the tree, watching the different landscapes come alive with lights. The family time spent during these holidays is always my favorite. I have so much to be thankful for every year, and celebrating the birth of Christ is never forgotten. Winter has so much beauty if you look at it from a different perspective. Yes, driving conditions stink.... but the snow falling, shimmering ice on the trees, the wind whistling it's own tune, the smell of fresh baked goods all the time, and watching the kids eyes light up every time they look at the Christmas tree. Honestly, what can be better? Looking at life through a child's eyes has changed my perspective.

I know this is really more emotion than I typically show these days....but it really took me aback last night. It is so amazing to slow down, change your view point, and relearn the simple things in life. Have you laid on a blanket lately, and tried to find pictures in the clouds? Have you had a picnic lately? Try it....it's so much fun to live the simple life!

No comments:

Post a Comment